Chapter 9

Back to present:

While Bartholomew was gone, I decided to have a little walk around the mansion. Bartholomew was making a big deal out of things and I wouldn't collapse after a few minutes of walking. I couldn't just sit around and rest all day because that was way more tiring than walking.

I didn't know what Bartholomew told Peridot because as soon as he saw me standing he ran up to me:

"Is there something the matter? Can I help you with anything?

-No, thank you. I am just going on a walk."

He didn't seem convinced for some reason and that made me laugh:

"I am not a porcelain doll. I will just walk for a few minutes and look around. Don't worry."

Peridot hesitated for a second:

"It is not my place to say anything but please don't get hurt again. I have never seen Mister Virion that scared.

-I will try my best."

Peridot stepped away with a bow but I didn't leave immediately:

"I have a question. How long have you been working here?

-I have been working for Mister Virion for the last five years.

-Oh, then you and I know each other well."

Peridot looked up at me:

"If you have any questions, I think you should ask Mister Virion directly."

That was weird. Why didn't Peridot answer me directly? But then again he seemed like a rather shy person. He didn't talk at all during breakfast either. Maybe he didn't like talking all together. But wasn't that sad? If I hadn't gotten close to him in the two years I lived here then I needed to get close to him now.

I actually preferred it this way too. If Peridot didn't know me well then we were kind of on the same level. It wasn't like with Bartholomew who knew me by heart. I was almost a stranger to Peridot too.

"Would you like to come with me on my walk?"

Peridot nodded politely:

"It would be my honor."

It didn't really feel like a walk because it was more Peridot following me around without saying a word. Maybe that was why I didn't get close to him in those two years. But that was okay. I had time. I could work with this.

"Do you like working here?

-Yes, sir."

Of course he wasn't going to say that he didn't like it. We were paying him after all. But if Bartholomew kept him for five years that meant that he was good at his job. I would have to be the one doing small talk:

"This mansion is gorgeous. How rich is Bartholomew?

-Master Virion is the fifth richest person in the country.

-That's impressive. What does he do exactly?

-He invested early and built his own company with the money he gained.

-And what am I doing?

-As far as I know, Master Aed doesn't work."

I frowned:

"Do I just stay at home all day and do nothing?

-You would sometimes go with Master Virion on his missions.

-But... Have I got a diploma at least? Or something?

-You do.

-Then again I get why I would just stay here and do nothing. This mansion is huge. I would always find new rooms even after ten years of living here. Isn't this too big for two people?