Chapter 21

Back to present:

My head jerked up:

"What?"

Bartholomew shrugged as if what he said was nothing:

"It happens sometimes. That's the price of being powerful."

I grabbed Bartholomew's hand and he smiled at me:

"Do you feel bad for me, kitten? That's not why I told you this. I just want to be honest with you."

I wanted him to stop talking and stop smiling so I touched his cheek. The next second Bartholomew's cheek went red and his eyes started shining.

"Stop acting as if it's normal.

-It's okay darling.

-It's not."

I lowered my head and Bartholomew started panicking:

"Baby, are you crying?

-I forbid you from lying to me. What happened to you is far from okay and it breaks my heart to see you used to it. I have known you for less than a month but you have been the biggest support possible and knowing that you didn't get any support for years...

-Aed... Please don't cry. I am really okay.

-You are not. You said that there were rumors about you for years and you didn't have any friends before Gardenia and Zadimus but you don't even seem happy in their company anymore. You have been there for me unconditionally so I will be there for you too. You can lean on me as much as you want."

Bartholomew pulled me closer:

"What if I am not as good as what you think?

I don't care. You are good to me. Is that selfish?

-It is. And I love it.

-I will take care of you.

-Isn't that supposed to be the other way around?"

I shook my head:

"You need love too."

Bartholomew froze and his eyes turned dark:

"Wait a minute. Does that mean that we are getting married?

-Slow down. That's not what I said."

I tried pushing Bartholomew away but he maintained me in place and bent closer:

"It is exactly what you said. Taking care of someone means getting married.

-I... I still need time to think.

-Come on. Where did my brave wife go? Say that you will marry me. I need love.

-Stop pretending.

-You said it yourself. I need someone to take care of me. What would become of me without you?"

Bartholomew was so close that I could feel his breath on my lips. I felt my heart speed up and had no idea what I was thinking anymore.

"Okay...

-Okay what?

-I...

-You?

-No."

I finally managed to push Bartholomew away and the latter looked at me, his face glitching.

"How could I get married to you? You didn't eve propose to me.

-How can you switch so fast?

-I am not answering until you ask me properly."

In reality I didn't care about the proposal and was just being shy but seeing Bartholomew smirk, I guessed he must have liked it: