Chapter 20

Two months ago:

Of course Gardenia didn't like my answer and the bullying got worse. Bonnie felt bad thinking that I was being bullied because of her and came up to me to apologize: 

"Why would you apologize? You didn't do anything wrong and neither did I. Gardenia is just jealous." 

Jealous? This whole thing with Gardenia made me think. Was Bartholomew really obsessed with me? He teased me all the time and he looked hurt when I said I didn't like him. I didn't pay attention at the time because I was angry but he did say that I couldn't come because it would be dangerous. 

It didn't excuse anything but was he really worried about me? Did he perhaps care about me? When did it start? I remembered that Bartholomew had been acting weird since the beginning and he started calling me kitten as soon as we met. Was it since then? Was it as soon as he spotted me behind that hospital door? That sounded impossible but at the same time it explained everything that had happened. 

Bartholomew was a bad person and I didn't like him at all. Him caring about me was dangerous but I had to admit that he hadn't been the same level of toxic to me that he had been to Bonnie in the original story. He didn't kidnap me. It was my decision alone. And he didn't lock me up until now. He even turned back and opened the door 5 minutes later having regretted what he did. 

Why would he do it if he was going to regret it? Was it really because he was worried? As Peridot said, he had already lost the ones he cared about once. But even when he started caring about Bonnie he was an asshole. He locked her up all the time, dragged her to dangerous places and never said anything nice to her. On the other hand, he tried to protect me. He failed horribly but for the first time in his life he tried. It still wasn't excusing anything but it was intriguing.

Feeling that we needed to talk I decided to go find Bartholomew but he seemed to be avoiding me lately. I finally found Zadimus in front of Bartholomew's study and walked up to him. Zadimus didn't seem happy to see me and didn't even look my way, trying to ignore me. 

"Is Bartholomew inside?
-Yes.
-Then, may I go in?
-No.
-Why not? 
-He is busy.
-It will be quick.
-He is busy.
-You already said that." 

Zadimus didn't answer and looked the other way as if waiting for something. 

"I am going in." 

Zadimus immediately grabbed my arm: 

"What do you think you are doing? Bartholomew doesn't like being disturbed when he is working.
-I told you it will be quick. We have to talk.
-I can't let you in.
-What are you? His secretary? I will ask him directly if he has time for me.
-He never lets anyone in his study. Leave him alone. Why would he want to see your face so early in the morning?
-Okay that got personal real quick. My face is gorgeous. I am sure he would love to see it every day." 

Suddenly the study's door opened and Bartholomew looked at Zadimus's hand with a frown: 

"Zadimus, why didn't you tell me that I had a guest?
-I..." 

Zadimus seemed so surprised that I couldn't refrain from winking at him. 

"Please come in. 
-Thank you." 

Bartholomew closed the door behind me and pulled a chair for me to sit. He looked way grumpier than usual but immediately asked about my condition: 

"How are your hands?
-Fine." 

There was an awkward silence. 

"To what do I owe the pleasure of having you here today?
-We need to talk." 

Bartholomew shuttered and his face went very pale suddenly. I never would have thought that he would panic hearing those words. 

"I see. I am listening." 

He looked so funny that I wanted to tease him. Did he really like me?

"About you locking me up a few days ago. You haven't properly apologized since then." 

I did come here to tell him that I would look past it but saying something like that to an annoying jerk was harder than I thought. I immediately regret coming. For some reason it felt as if I had lost by coming to him. Why couldn't I think about it more? Why did I have to be so impulsive?  What did I care about a crazy bastard's feelings? Bartholomew immediately stood up and walked up to me before bowing: 

"I am sincerely sorry.
-I hope it will never happen again.
-Never again, I swear.
-No matter the circumstances.
-Fine. I forgive you." 

Bartholomew opened wide eyes. He looked so surprised that he glitched. 

"Is that all?
-What were you expecting?
-I don't know... I thought you would never want to see me ever again.
-Is that why you started avoiding me?
-I wasn't..." 

I raised an eyebrow. 

"A bit." 

I rolled my eyes. 

"I talked with Peridot and I couldn't forget about his words for some reason." 

Bartholomew's eyes darkened: 

"What did he tell you?
-He mentioned your past and I realized that you had no idea how to interact with people anymore. Once I understood that, I realized that you tried protecting me. That was the first time I ever saw you do something for someone else." 

Bartholomew started smiling just like when we first met: 

"Does that mean you fell for me?
-Slow down. I still very much hate you." 

Having him care about me when he was a selfish jerk felt better than I would have wanted it to. I had a problem with helping people. Now that he started changing I couldn't help forgiving him. But that didn't mean I didn't hate him anymore.

"Thank you kitten." 

I hated his guts. 

"I told you not to call me that.
-But it suits you so much." 

I stood up with a sigh: 

"I regret coming here. See you never.
-But darling, you told Zadimus that you would let me admire your pretty face every day.
-When have I said that?
-You said that you had a gorgeous face and that I would love to see it every day. You know me so well, kitten." 

I grabbed a pillow and threw it at his face but that only made Bartholomew laugh. 

"How could I hope to have a mature conversation with you?"