Chapter 12

Two months ago:

"What if I asked you to shoot her?"

Bartholomew took the gun without hesitation and pointed it at Bonnie but I immediately placed myself between them. It was a blank bullet. He couldn't shoot me and I couldn't let Bonnie be traumatized even more than she already was.

"Move away, Aed."

It was Bartholomew's first time calling me by my name instead of a nickname which was surprising but I didn't budge.

"No. If you want to shoot. Shoot me."

Bartholomew put down the gun and walked closer to me:

"Stay there! Don't come closer. I am not letting you shoot Bonnie.

-I am asking nicely, Aed. Move.

-I told you to shoot me.

-No.

-And why not? asked Kallem."

Everyone looked at him and he started brushing his beard with an interested gaze:

"It seems the kitten wasn't the girl. I changed my mind, Virion. Shoot that man.

-We said the girl.

-And now I am saying the man. Is there a problem?"

I knew that he was going to shoot me and I knew it wasn't a real bullet but my heart still got carried away. I had to stay calm but every inch of my body was telling me to run. I already died once for God's sake. How could I die again? But just as I was panicking, something unexpected happened. Bartholomew pointed the gun at Kallem instead of me and everyone pulled out their guns at the same time, pointing them at each other.

Kallem was the only one who found the situation very funny:

"How unexpected. I thought Bartholomew Virion didn't have a heart. Very interesting indeed."

But Bartholomew didn't look like he wanted to laugh and I could almost see flames burning in his eyes. I had no idea what was going to happen. Was I really going to die here? Were they going to shoot at each other and kill me at the same time? Everything was way worse than what it could have been. What was wrong with me always getting in these situations? Why did I have to save everyone? Why couldn't I just let Bartholomew shoot Bonnie without saying anything? She would have fainted but she would have been fine and everyone would have been happy. How could things escalate this way?

I had no idea what was going to happen but fortunately Kallem was the first to step back:

"There, there. We were just joking. We didn't mean anything by it, believe me. Guys put your guns down."

It took a few seconds of hesitation but Kallem's men did as they were told and soon after so did Bartholomew's. The last one to put his gun down was Bartholomew and he threw it back to Kallem with a death glare. Having the gun in his hands, Kallem smiled before shooting one of his men. The latter of course didn't fall down because the bullet wasn't a real one:

"See? We were just joking."

Bartholomew didn't seem surprised and that made Kallem laugh even more:

"You never seem to stop surprising me. I can't wait to see more of you in the future. And please, bring the kitten with you next time too.

-Don't you dare call him that.

-Of course. This one is on me."

We quickly left the building and Bartholomew immediately turned to me, very angry:

"How could you do that? Did you want to die?"

It was Bonnie's turn protecting me. She placed herself between Bartholomew and me and started screaming: