Chapter 17

Back to present:

"How are you? Are you okay?" 

I didn't have time to answer because she went on: 

"I wanted to visit you at the hospital but Bartholomew didn't let anyone in. We were so worried. I thought..." 

Gardenia's eyes started tearing up: 

"I thought you were dead... I was so scared that I could never talk to you again. I have so many things to say. I am so sorry for everything I did to you... I.... I should have apologized way before but was way too selfish. I am so sorry." 

Everything was going so fast that I had no idea what to say. She seemed really sincere and she couldn't stop crying but how did I Know if she deserved my forgivness? Maybe what she did was horrible enough for me to ignore her forever. Without realizing I turned to Bartholomew and the next second he grabbed my hand and pulled it away from Gardenia: 

"We didn't say that you could touch him." 

Gardenia immediately wiped her tears away: 

"I am sorry. It must have been surprising for you because you don't remember me. Once again I was selfish, sorry.
-It's okay, don't worry. But I have to admit I am a bit lost. What did you do to me for you to apologize this way?" 

Gardenia glanced at Bartholomew who had sat down before saying: 

"There was something that I had wanted for years but never achieved and seeing you get it without any difficulty made me jealous. I was dying of jealousy and took it out on you." 

Was she talking about Bartholomew? 

"But you saw right through me and called me out. That was even worse for me because I didn't want to admit it yet. Despite everything you have been there for me more than anyone and I soon realized that you deserved way more than me. You also helped me open my eyes about a lot of things and helped me live for myself. I am really gratefull for that. I will never forget your help and want to be there for you too.
-I need time thinking about it.
-Of course. Take all the time you need.
-Thank you." 

We started eating and I tried making small talk during that awkward lunch. Bartholomew wasn't very talkative about Gardenia but he did answer all my questions without problem. I learned that they had been friends for some years and met at the University. 

"What was Bartholomew like back then?" 

Gardenia seemed surprised by my question : 

"He rarely smiled. Because of that people did start a few rumors." 

I turned to Bartholomew: 

"What kind of rumors?" 

He shrugged as if it was nothing: 

"People heard about my family and back then they were saying that I was the one who killed them.
-That's horrible... I am so sorry." 

Bartholomew smiled before rubbing my head: 

"It's okay. I prefered people not talking to me anyway.
-But that still must have hurt you.
-I was used to it by then.
-That's even worse! I would have beaten them up for you.
-Would you have? 
-Of course!
-Then I hope that new rumors spread.
-Don't say that.
-But I like my wife paying attention to me." 

Gardenia almost choked on her water. It seemed she wasn't used to seeing Bartholomew all lovey dovey. 

"You don't have to worry about Bartholomew too much. It took him only 6 months and the whole University was in his pocket." 

Bartholomew smiled behind his glass: 

"That's because people are too readable." 

Gardenia shook her head: 

"Of course you would say that. You loved playing with people." 

I frowned. Was that the kind of person she saw him as? The Bartholomew I knew was more like a puppy than a snake but maybe he was different back then. Would I still have liked him if I had met him back then? I looked at Bartholomew and tried imagining him manipulating people. 

I couldn't know because I wasn't there but I felt that I would have been attracted to him. But only if he cared about me. After all, Bartholomew was gorgeous but I didn't like cold people. How would I have reacted if I had realized later on that he had used me? I would have gotten very mad and would have avoided him probably. 

"I wasn't playing with them. They were just doing what I wanted." 

Gardenia rolled her eyes: 

"And how are you any different now?" 

She looked at me and pinched her lips: 

"He never says the whole truth." 

I frowned and looked up at Bartholomew. What did she mean? Was he hiding something from me? He always answered honestly whatever I asked him but he was really overprotective. Maybe he did hide things from me but if he did it must have been for my own good. I trusted him and having realized that, I smiled. 

Feeling my stare, Bartholomew smiled: 

"Is the food to your liking?" 

I quickly nodded and heard Gardenia sigh. She didn't seem to approve of our relationship. I felt that there was a lot of history there and couldn't understand all of it in one meal. But I didn't have to rush. I had all the time in the world to understand what was going on and I knew that I could always ask Bartholomew. 

At the end of the meal, Gardenia tried hugging me but Bartholomew pushed her back: 

"Speak from there." 

Gardenia glared at him but didn't argue and looked back at me with gentle eyes. She felt really sincere and it seemed like she really cared about me. 

"If you need anything you can always come find me, Aed. I will always be here. I'll give you my number.
-Thank you.
-Do you... Are you sure about this?" 

Bartholomew took a step forward as if threathening Gardenia but the later didn't budge: 

"Are you sure you want to be with that guy?" 

I looked at Bartholomew and smiled: 

"Yes. He is very good to me.
-Even if you don't remember him?
-That's not important." 

Bartholomew smiled with an air of victory. 

"I see... I wish you all the best, Aed. But try your best to get your memories back." 

I frowned. Why was she so insistent about me getting my memories back? Bartholomew was way more understanding and gave me all the space I needed. 

"You should find Bonnie.
-Gardenia!" 

Hearing Bartholomew scream, Gardenia froze. She quickly said goodbye and disappeared.