Chapter 23

Back to present:

"Bartholomew."

I heard someone run and the next second Bartholomew appeared at the door:

"Yes, love of my life?

-You have too much money."

He laughed before walking up to me and surrounding me of his arms:

"Do you like that I am rich? Then I should work even harder.

-What do you mean work? You are always home.

-How could I leave when my wife is sick?"

I pinched his arm but he didn't budge:

"One, I have been completely fine for weeks. And two, stop calling me that.

-Okay, sugar."

I sighed:

"As I was saying, you don't even know what to do with your money anymore. I am sincerely touched that you buy me flowers every day but this is too much.

-What do you mean?"

I pointed to the five bouquets on the table:

"I will become allergic to pollen after this.

-But I couldn't choose which one to get... Are you mad at me?"

He looked at me with puppy eyes and despite being completely unbothered by it usually, I felt my heart ache suddenly. I was becoming weaker to him every day and I wasn't sure that it was a good thing.

"Are you mad at me, baby?"

I pinched my lips.

"Don't buy me flowers anymore.

-What do you mean? Don't you want my love anymore? Are you going to leave me like my parents did?"

I hit him on the head:

"Don't joke about these things.

-But when I talk about my painful past you always feel bad for me and touch me.

-You are so shameless.

-Do you like it?"

I hit him again:

"Stop. If you buy me flowers every day it won't be special anymore. Especially if it's five bouquets at once.

-I will do anything you say, honeycomb.

-You are getting more and more comfortable.

-Do you like it?

-No."

I pushed him away and walked out of the room. Bartholomew immediately came after me but I couldn't turn back to him, needing time for my heart to calm down.

"I was just kidding, kitten. Please don't avoid me. I will behave."

Why couldn't I ever stay mad at him? Bartholomew would take things too far, I would reprimand him, he would look at me with his puppy eyes, I would forgive him and he would start again the next day. When I said I felt like eating meat, he made a chef come to our house because he wanted me to relax. When I said that I liked the smell of apples, he hired people to mop the entire mansion with an apple scented product and wash all the clothes with an apple scented soap powder. When I said that I liked axolotls, Bartholomew bought all the stuffed toys and paintings he could find with axolotls. I couldn't take it anymore. How could I do this for three years?

He was unstoppable and unpredictable and I didn't dare say anything anymore. And it was getting worse and worse because every time I forgave him despite all my efforts. I had to find a way to canalyse him. Anything.

[BL] My enemy became my husbandजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें