Chapter 19

Back to present:

We went back home and on the way Bartholomew immediately apologized to me: 

"I am sorry about her. Did she annoy you?
-No, it's okay. I am just a bit lost. It seems I forgot a lot of things.
-It's okay. She is not worth remembering.
-Was she bad to me?
-She was. She did her best to make you leave.
-What did she do?
-Do you really want to know?
-If I don't know what she did I won't know if I should forgive her.
-I will tell you. You should forget her.
-Bartholomew...
-Not Bartholomew, Honey.
-My Honey will tell me what happened or he'll sleep alone tonight.
-How could I argue against such convincing statements? She thought that you would leave on your own so at first she didn't do anything but when she saw that you were staying she started getting creative. She would wait for me to leave and would turn off the heating in your room, hide insects in your bed, put salt in your water... Childish and mean things.
-That's very dumb.
-It is." 

I understood better why Bartholomew had been so cold to her. Of course he would hate her after this. 

"And who is Bonnie?" 

Bartholomew froze. 

"She was your friend.
-Was?
-Is.
-I would love to meet her. And Zadimus too.
-I could arrange a meeting with Zadimus but I have no idea where Bonnie is at the moment.
-How come?
-After your accident she disappeared and I was too busy to care.
-Were we very close?
-Too close." 

I started laughing: 

"Were you jealous?
-Yes. You have only known her for two months but you two looked inseperable as soon as you met. I hated it. I hate her.
-Did you only hate her because of that?
-That's the best reason I ever had to hate someone.
-Wasn't your family murdered?
-Proving how much I hate her."

I rolled my eyes.

"Anyway, did you tell me that you hated her?
-It was pretty obvious." 

I laughed again and that made Bartholomew frown: 

"What is so amusing about this? 
I didn't think that someone like you would get jealous so easily." 

Bartholomew grabbed my shoulders and bent very close to my face: 

"I am always jealous. So don't pay attention to anyone else but me.
-We will see." 

His expression crumbled and it was hard refraining from laughing. For some reason seeing him all self conscious made me want to comfort him. Bartholomew was always very nice to me and he deserved a bit of care too. Me being shy wasn't an acceptable excuse. 

"You don't have to be jealous of anyone. You are way better than anyone else." 

I thought that Bartholomew was going to tease me and say that I was flirting but he went completely red and started coughing to hide his unease. 

"We should get ready for bed." 

I smiled: 

"What is it? Is my Honey flustered by any chance?" 

Bartholomew turned away, hiding his face with his hand. 

"My Honey is so cute when he is all shy." 

I was having a great time and couldn't stop teasing him: 

"My cute fiance is the most handsome man I've ever seen." 

Bartholomew still wasn't looking at me and I was walking after him in a good mood: 

"Husband fait for me." 

The next second Bartholomew turned around and pulled me close to his chest, his arms around my waist. I got so surprised that I stopped smiling and looked up at him but as soon as I saw his eyes I froze. He was way different from usual. He wasn't blushing at all anymore and his eyes turned dark. My whole body went numb and my skin was burning where he was touching me.