Chapter 15

Back to present:

Bartholomew grabbed my hand and we walked to the car together. Gardenia stared at our hands for some reason but she looked away as soon as our eyes met. I had no idea what she was thinking and that was frustrating. I had so many questions for her. Why did she say that we weren't friends but she wanted us to be? What did she do? Was I mad at her for something? Was that why she seemed so shy around me? Was that why Bartholomew told her to leave? 

Bartholomew was overprotective and if Gardenia did something to me in the past he would probably prevent her from meeting me. He did seem angry and I couldn't stop staring at his eyebrows. I never saw him angry around me. He would only look at me with childish eyes or unconditional love. He looked really different when he was serious. He gained at least 5 years and he looked really imposing, like a real CEO. Or at least what I thought a CEO looked like. Was this how he was at work too? I wouldn't have been surprised if he had everyone at his feet. Well done to me for putting a ring on someone like him. 

Feeling me stare at him, Bartholomew turned to me and immediately gained back his smile. He pressed my hand and bent closer to my ear: 

"Are you okay?
-Yes." 

I glanced at Gardenia who was standing further behind and made sure that she couldn't hear what we were saying: 

"Who is she?" 

Bartholomew's smile twitched: 

"One of my friends.
-But then why wasn't I friends with her?
-She was jealous of all the attention I paid to my kitten. 
-Oh...
-Don't make that face. There's no one more important to me than my kitten." 

We got into the car and were taken to the restaurant. Bartholomew didn't let go of my hand for a second and Gardenia didn't dare say anything or look at us for a second. There was a weird vibe in the car but I didn't pay attention to it because I was staring out the window. I was looking at the houses and buildings waiting for one of them to feel familiar to me. However everything felt new and far away from my touch. Therefore I just sat back and waited for the car to stop. 

Bartholomew helped me out and we walked into a very fancy place. The restaurant must have had Michelin stars judging only by the decoration and seeing Bartholomew walk in, a very important looking person ran up to us: 

"Mister Virion! We are honored to have you in our establishment. We prepared the best table for you and your friends." 

I frowned. Friends? Did people not know about my relationship with Bartholomew? This angered me for some reason but I didn't say anything as we walked to the table. I didn't even know if I had any right to be angry but was Bartholomew ashamed of our relationship? He was acting all cute behind closed doors but was it different outside? 

Someone came to pull my chair for me but Bartholomew pushed them away and did it for me. I just stared at him and sat down without saying anything. Bartholomew immediately felt that something was wrong and he bent towards me with a frown: 

"What is it kitten? Do you dislike the place? Should we leave?" 

He was calling me kitten in front of everyone but then why had I been called his friend? Was it not Bartholomew's fault but was that person homophobe? I had no idea at this point and could only ask: 

"Do people know about our relationship?" 

Both Bartholomew and Gardenia opened wide eyes. 

"I never hid my feelings for you, Aed.
-But that man called me your friend." 

Bartholomew kneeled down in front of me and started beaming for some reason: 

"Do you want the whole world to know about our love?" 

I blushed but did my best to stay serious: 

"You didn't answer my question.
-It wasn't a question though. It was an affirmation.
-Then let me rephrase it: why did that man call me your friend?
-Well, in the past you would have killed me if I told people about us.
-Was I the one who didn't want others to know?" 

Bartholomew shrugged: 

"I could never disobey my darling.
-I am so sorry... It must have hurt you.
-You had very good reasons so don't worry.
-You can tell people now. I don't care anymore." 

His whole face started lit up: 

"Really? You don't mind the whole world knowing about our wedding?
-We are not sure that there will be a wedding yet." 

He suddenly crumbled and I couldn't help laughing: 

"That was very mean... You can't say this to me.
-Why are you taking it out on me? You are the one who was supposed to seduce me into staying.
-Easy darling because you wouldn't be able to take my full seduction. 
-Don't overestimate yourself.
-Is this a bet?" 

I was about to answer when Gardenia talked for the first time, reminding us of her presence: 

"Are you going to get married?" 

I frowned. Even Bartholomew's friend didn't know? Well she was jealous of me after all but that didn't mean she shouldn't know. Was she still in love with Bartholomew ? It didn't really look that way to me. On the contrary, I was the one she seemed to care about. 

"In two months. If kitten wants to, we will invite you too.
-It's still not sure.
-May I talk to Aed alone?
-No." 

Bartholomew had been so cold that I jumped. What happened between these two? Weren't they supposed to be friends? It looked to me like they wanted to kill each other instead. 

"It's okay Bartholomew. 
-Honey.
-It's okay, Honey. I don't mind." 

Bartholomew would always sortent when I called him a pet name. He looked at me and seemed to hesitate for long seconds before turning back to Gardenia: 

"You are lucky that I always listen to my kitten. But don't forget what I told you before." 

Gardenia went very pale suddenly and stared at Bartholomew as he left us alone. He didn't go very far but was far enough for us to talk comfortably and Gardenia immediately grabbed my hand.