02: Present Day

Your hometown of Daegu looks very different from the last time you were really here. It changes a lot. And it changes pretty quickly.

But some things about it stay the same - family-run restaurants, streets lined with little shops passed down from generations, the parks and the temples, the playground in your old neighborhood with the basketball court that you know all too well.

They make the place home, Mrs. Kim says. That doesn't change no matter how far or how long you've been away.

You want to disagree. This place was never home. It felt like bits of it during the times you used to watch ballet performances at the Opera House with your mom or when your dad used to grill makchang on Friday nights.

But when she decided to leave and then he remarried, you had just memories of home left. Your sisters' resentment over your happiness for your mother as she achieved her dreams took all that was remaining, and coming here reminds you more than what you lost; it reminds you of what you can never have - that space to dream, the place of safety, the love that would endure time and distance.

You enjoy the best short ribs dish over Mr. Kim's recordings of his saxophone performances. Mrs. Kim dotes on you like her own daughter, and Taehyung announces all the things you'll be doing now that you're both back home, taking your respective breaks that you deserve, and spending the money that you worked hard for.

You eventually leave for some rest. The house you're staying at is far from the buzz of the city. It's private and secure, a little too spacious for one, and boasts of the views of the mountains. Jimin had found it, knowing you'd need the peace and quiet amidst all that would be taking place during your short time here.

Taehyung will be staying over at his parents' place, but they insist that it's open for you to visit anytime you want. You think you need the time for yourself, though. Your job often requires you to be around people, and you're thankful for the choice you have now to be away from them. For some time, at least.

[From: Manager Jung] Are you settled? I've got a script for you to go through. Sending it now

Your agent-slash-manager's message disrupts your moment of tranquility as you sit out at the garden, watching the sun set. You'd arrived from Seoul in time for lunch and spent the rest of the afternoon at Taehyung's parents' house before heading to yours.

[To: Manager Jung] Yeah, all good. But give me a week until I read the script. Don't want to think much about work yet

[From: Manager Jung] Fine. Just don't take too long

You sigh, knowing that though you promised Jin and Jimin that you won't be thinking about work while you're here - you need a break from it all, they told you - your manager won't really let you. And much as you want to complain about him pushing you real hard, you're thankful that Jung Hoseok always does.

He was the one who saw your talent and insisted you've got a bright future after one casting call that you were almost late for. He was strategic in which roles to pitch you for as a rookie actor, and which ones would get you ahead of the game, no matter how challenging it was. During the times you wondered if you were meant for this industry, he always assured you that you were. There was always going to be a bigger break after the last, he believed, and he promised you he'd go searching for that role until you got the biggest break of your career.

And every time you think he'll cross the line of pressuring you too much, he says something sweet, brotherly, friendly.

[From: Manager Jung] But take care of yourself there, ok? Don't let them talk down on you. Don't let them crush your dreams