21: Present Day

Your heart has been heavy since Yoongi left your apartment last week. You're not sure if you were expecting him to assure you that things are going to be fine between the both of you, but it doesn't mean it didn't hurt when he chose not to say anything about it. You know that he's the type to think hard about what he'll say; maybe he just didn't know what to tell you then, but days later, he still doesn't, and that's ringing the tiniest alarm bells in your head.

He acknowledges your messages of updates you give about the project. You're working with Hoseok to look at the contract and the schedules, and you're getting more details as the days go by. Yoongi doesn't ask anything more, though, a rarity since he's said before that he enjoys it when you talk about work.

You want to just be with him, knowing that a hug or a kiss would ease the tension, but that itself makes you worry. What will happen when you're away and there's something going on that you both don't want to address? How would you resolve that when you can't just drive to each other to fix things? What if he's going through something that he doesn't want to talk about? It's happened before after all. What if you're struggling and missing him so much? What if the time and distance become too much?

You let the week pass without seeing each other. Their team has an out-of-town game and the shop has work requests that he's helping his dad with. You're also exhausted from all the meetings this week; you have an upcoming photoshoot that you're preparing for, too.

So you decide to take an early drive to Daegu the next weekend, getting the ire of Hoseok who had to move a meeting that Saturday because you asked.

"I just really, really need to see him," you tell your manager over the phone. "I'm worried about us and I'm losing my mind. I need to know that things are okay."

Hoseok doesn't argue. You rarely ever ask to move things around and this matters too much to you, as your shaky voice tells him.

You make it to the gymnasium for the game, finding Mr. Min in one of the seats and surprising him.

"Hello, my dear," he beams, hugging you tightly. "I'm so glad you're here. Does my son know you're coming?"

"No, I kinda just decided last night."

"Okay, then. Maybe your presence will cure his grumpiness," the old man laughs.

"He's been grumpy?" You wonder, not having seen that through his texts this past week.

"Yeah, more than usual. He hasn't been that way since you arrived last summer," he says. "They had a bad loss the other day. He's also stressing himself out by helping me manage the shop when I said I could do it. You two didn't fight, did you?"

"No," you respond. "I mean, not that I know of."

"Well, then can you just comfort him in case something else is up? Maybe he also just misses you."

You hum in response and try to enjoy the game. It's quite a stressful one that Yoongi doesn't get to look your way. They eventually lose in a heartbreaking manner and you can sense his frustration through his gritted teeth and blank stare. You decide to send him a text that you're here and will just wait for him at his apartment. He replies with an "okay."

He arrives with a look of disappointment that you don't know how to ease. During the times he'd lose in their games as a player before, he said he just liked to deal with it on his own but having you around made things better. It seems that's still the case now, as he falls into your embrace once he enters the door.

"I'm glad you're here," he mumbles. "I'm sorry your first game is a loss."

"It's okay, it won't be the last one," you assure. "At least I got to watch you be a sexy coach and all."