06: Present Day

The lunch with your family is how you expect it to go - with your older sisters making some backhanded comments about your fame and how you've been "too busy" to even visit, and your father trying to dissolve the tension. He's at least genuinely curious about how you've been, asking if you're eating well and getting enough rest. Your stepmom raves about your drama series and shares that she cried during the finale.

"Why did he have to go back to his planet?" Garam's 7-year old asks after your stepmom narrates what happened.

"His time on earth was up," you explain. "He finished his mission and he had to leave."

"But why didn't he stay if he was happy?"

"Because he had a responsibility in his home," you smile. "He wasn't made for this world."

"He didn't have a choice, sweetie," Garam adds after her daughter comments that it was sad. "That's understandable. Some people leave because they're no longer happy with those around them. Or because their dreams are more important than those they supposedly love. Isn't that sadder?"

"It is. Don't leave me, Mama," the little one pouts.

"Oh sweetie, I never will. I don't leave people that I love," Garam responds, glancing at you to make a statement.

You zone out after that, not wanting to engage with your sisters anymore. You play with their kids, though, who get excited when they see you on TV. You don't want to treat them like you hold a grudge against them even if you do so with their mothers. Your sisters continue to do that with you - resent you when it's your mom they're really angry at for leaving your already unhappy family after she got her dream job in Paris. You were never angry though but you did sort of follow in her footsteps, and your sisters hated you even more because of that.

"Are you staying for dinner?" Your father asks, the hope in his eyes hurting you.

Things weren't going well with your parents for a while, giving your mom more reason to leave, but you always wished that he had done more for you to feel loved in the home that started to become toxic after it fell apart, but you suppose he was just trying to heal his own broken heart after his wife left. It felt like your sisters weren't going to forgive you when you decided to leave yourself, and he just let you walk away without making sure you knew he still loved you despite your decision.

He's moved on now, though, and happy with someone who prioritizes him and his needs. But too much time and distance can pull people apart - you can see them without the desire of being with them. That's the reality with you and him now and there's not much you can do about it.

"No, I've got other plans," you respond, glancing at your sisters who return your look with bitterness. "I'll see you at grandpa's tomorrow."

You drive around for half an hour with no destination in mind. It's nice to see how much this place has changed and discover which parts of it still feel the same.

You pass by an antique shop - the antique shop, a generations-old family-run store that used to be the hub of imported furniture that the townspeople once flocked to. It's now a speciality store that still sells one-of-a-kind items but it also refurbishes old pieces. You see a poster on the window that's promoting woodworking workshops. You won't be surprised to find out whose idea that was.

A man briefly exits, and you stop near the front, wanting to just take it in. He's got more gray hair now and walks a little slower but he looks just like you remembered - soft crinkled eyes, comforting smile, a look that you know all too well. You decide to enter, as you're desperate for something - anything - that feels more like home than the one you just came from.