04: Present Day

You survive the car ride by glaring at Namjoon every time he starts teasing you about panicking over Yoongi thinking that you were dating Jungkook, while the latter curses as he drives, claiming he survived one of the scariest moments of his life.

You arrive in Jungkook's house in half an hour, a nice place he bought for himself because he said that Daegu will always be home for him. The sliding doors to the patio give it a spacious feel, and you see that a couple of his friends had already prepped the space, complete with beer kegs and beer pong tables, the way you remember they always used to party.

The 3 of you spot Taehyung who greets you, and the 2 men next to you proceed to narrate what happened, to your best friend's shock and amusement. You also fill all of them in with the first part of the story about Yoongi finding you as you hid away from the crowd.

"How... symbolic," Namjoon hums. "You meet at a basketball court in Daegu after a game while you were hiding from fans because you're such a bigtime actress now. I mean, it's quite ironic. The universe is out to tease you or something."

You agree, it is. It's times like this when you wish you didn't believe in fate and destiny because doing so would just give you false hope that you and Yoongi may be meant for more than just those 2 years together. And you absolutely hate it because you can't fall into that trap of thinking that you're meant for a happy ending that includes him. That ship sailed a long time ago - 6 years and about 5 partners later.

But as Yoongi enters the house, his bowed head turning up to search the area before daintily tucking a strand of hair behind his ear, you start to think that maybe that ship decided to turn back around and sail towards you once again. He briefly meets your eyes before someone calls out to him, and you're left to admire him from afar, cute button nose and impeccable side profile and all.

Taehyung pulls you by the arm and whispers in your ear. "Okay, so what's our plan?"

"What do you mean, our plan?" You ask, realizing you've lost Yoongi as you glance in the direction of where he was, no longer finding him there. "Plan for what?"

"Yoongi, obviously," Taehyung rolls his eyes. "Do we avoid him, be civil, pretend you don't think about him anymore, or act like the past 8 years didn't happen and we don't actually know him?"

"None of the above," you groan. "What kinds of options are those?"

"Decent ones?"

"Nope. You've already had a lot to drink and I don't trust you when you're drunk."

"Except you should. This is when I don't hold back when it comes to you," Taehyung answers.

"And you hold back otherwise?" You frown.

"Just when it's about him. It was tough for a long time. I know sometimes it still is."

You don't have the heart to disagree. This man has been your best friend for a decade and he knows how you are, knows which pains of yours you're willing to talk about and which ones you'd rather hide away. Your acting skills may be good but you know that Taehyung can see behind all the smiles and the detachment and the effort to look okay, and whatever it is he's thinking, there's a good chance he might be right. You've just never been brave enough to admit them.

The look of understanding you both share gets disrupted when cheers erupt in the middle of the living room, seeing that Seungkwan had just beaten Jungkook in beer pong. The pro player demands a rematch and the entire house cheers in agreement. Jungkook takes the next game but Seungkwan won't back down.

"Let's do it in pairs," he challenges. "I take Joon."

"Fine," Jungkook says, his game face on, knowing there's one other person he knows could win this with him. "I take the Captain."