31: Rewind

##

3 years ago

Yoongi's childhood home is a one-floor house with a spacious kitchen and a nice lawn. His dad had built it for their mother as a way to keep her happy. It has a lot of the things she likes, like a big common space for everyone to gather around during meals, a vertical garden outside, and some planter boxes hanging by the windows. Half of the furniture is from the antique shop, which his dad had refurbished to fit the style of the place.

Yoongi was too young when they first moved in, but he remembers many things about it, like evenings watching talk shows and the news while they all ate and cleaned up as a family, mornings of his parents talking about different topics that got Yoongi interested in watching documentaries, and afternoons with his brother shooting hoops in their small backyard.

He also remembers the weekends you'd stayed over when he was injured, the first time you saw him break down, and the last time you walked out the door. There are memories of him ignoring his dad, arguing with his brother, and that evening when he took down the basketball ring and threw it in the trash.

He spent a whole year living here after the injury. Yoongi saw how his old man remained positive despite the pain over seeing his son struggle, how he worked hard to pay the medical bills, how he tried to make the house feel like the home he lost, even if Yoongi wasn't sure that was possible, only because you were no longer in it, and there's really no one to blame but him.

Things got relatively better though. After he fully recovered physically and got to save enough by helping the stores in the area digitize and selling some of his prized NBA jerseys, he moved out and rented a tiny studio apartment. He continued to help his dad at the shop, expanding its services for more income stream while also doing freelance work online. It was mentally tiring, but it helped his mind be preoccupied with things. Perhaps that's what got him talking to his friends again; it's what got him to go out and find other ways of moving on from all the pain that he chose to carry by himself.

It's a Friday when Yoongi visits his old house with some groceries he bought. He got a huge payout in one of the projects he worked on and he's been slowly paying off his dad by buying the essentials and medication, as his old man insists that there's no debt to be paid; it's his job to look out for his son, after all.

"Hey, dad," Yoongi greets as he walks into the kitchen.

"Hey, son," his dad replies, scooping them bowls of stew for dinner, a routine they've both developed after Yoongi moved out.

They proceed to eat, with him staring blankly down the hallway like he sometimes still does. It hasn't been a good couple of weeks and he's just been waiting for the next big project that would help him keep his mind off things again.

"So an old friend was in town this week and we went to this local bar," his dad says. "It's nice. They have live music every Thursday. A-reum was the one playing last night."

At the mention of her name, Yoongi stills for a bit, only to hum in response.

"I asked her how she's doing and why she hasn't passed by the shop in a while. Imagine my surprise when she said that you two have broken up. Two months ago. And I was the clueless father who didn't know that his son was going through another heartbreak," his dad continues. "What happened, son? You both seemed happy. You looked happy."

"Shit happens," Yoongi shrugs, not keen to talk about how much of a jerk he really is. It's enough that he knows exactly what caused him to fall out of his feelings for her; he doesn't really want to share that with anyone else.

His dad looks at him with a hardened gaze. It isn't that he didn't know about the breakup; it's more about his son's reaction to it, how he's looking indifferent to it as if it's not possibly hurting him right now. It's choosing again to go through all this by himself. Even more, it's the fact that A-reum seemed good for him. Yoongi was smiling again, laughing again; it wasn't the same as before but it was better than the closed-off, broken version of him.