07: Rewind

##

8 years ago

Yoongi is not a stranger to loud sounds.

His brother, Geumjae, is a fan of rock music and used to play it all day, everyday when they were growing up. Yoongi would fall asleep to the sound of drums and electric guitar and gritty vocals of whatever band that the older man was into.

Yoongi's dad runs an antique shop, a business that was passed down from his elders and which was expanded into furniture restoration. He'd spend his free time there, watching his father use all types of hand and electric tools to scrape, saw, and sand different pieces until the finished product was up to his standards.

It may seem a bit odd but he thinks it's one reason why he got into sports. He'd watched them as a kid and was amused by the cheers and the grunts that could be heard in the arena and through the TV. There was so much energy and so much excitement, as if those motivated the players even more, injecting in them adrenaline that pushed them, that made them hungrier, that made them succeed.

He understood it during his first pickup basketball game in the neighborhood park when he was 10 years old. A couple of the older boys invited him over to play and the audience, which consisted mostly of the kids from school and some adults hanging around, were hooting, yelling, and praising them once the score got close.

It was electric. Yoongi didn't always smile but he couldn't stop himself from doing so after he made the winning basket - a lucky shot, really, but he liked to call it the shot of destiny. There was nothing like it, and he always carries that experience with him. He refers to it as the pivotal moment in his life where he fell in love with basketball, as he told the university newspaper when they interviewed him the other week. It made him think of the possibilities, of the extent of his talent, and the overwhelming joy he could get from going to that court and giving his all to win a game.

He smiles just thinking about it now, as he warms up for the first match of the summer league. It's off-season for the university teams but this conference is where some other schools and amateur teams compete. He's unfamiliar with the players but that's what makes it exciting.

He knows they know him, though. He made national news when he became the youngest MVP at 19. That was 2 years ago when he was a sophomore, but his local fans continued to grow. He was never one for attention but he won't shy away from it if it's about his talent. To make it to the professional league, people need to know his name. And he knows that's not a problem.

"There goes the 'sweet assassin' Min Yoongi with a fadeaway jumper and it's nothing but net!" Jungkook hoots, imitating a commentator as he watches his captain from the sidelines.

"He gets the steal and takes the step back-3!" Yells Namjoon this time. "You don't leave the 'sweet assassin' open like that!"

Yoongi chuckles as he walks towards his teammates. "Stop it. The moniker sucks," he says, wiping away his sweat.

"You've had that since freshman year and you're complaining now?" Namjoon chuckles.

"It's cringey." Yoongi frowns.

"It's brilliant!" Jungkook disagrees. "I mean, the school paper article revealed your online pseud is 'suga' because that's how much you revere yourself and your shooting guard position and the sports dudes ran with it, gave you a nickname, and it stuck. That's impact. And it's pretty cool. The 'golden boy' makes me sound like an idol or something."

Yoongi and Namjoon laugh but insist that the name fits the younger man. He is pretty good at everything.

"I still think the 'god of destruction' is the best," Yoongi remarks, referring to Namjoon, who got the name after the few times that he'd detached the ring from the board after a dunk. "It's so intimidating."