08: Present Day

##

Yoongi has a hard time suggesting where you could have coffee. A lot of the cafes that he could think of are the ones you both frequented. Too many memories, he thinks, like the specific drink and sandwich you'd order from each one, the table you always stayed at, and where you'd go after.

That summer 8 years ago, you went to a cafe after your first kiss. Which was also the night you both met. You'd made out at Jungkook's kitchen after a game of spin-the-bottle and after thinking that he didn't want to stop kissing you, somehow spending time to get to know you was better.

You stayed up until the staff kicked you out. Then he saw you again the next day, and then the next, and pretty much everyday after that. You watched his games and spent time with his friends. He went to your part of town and visited the Opera House where your mom used to take you. You indulged him by playing basketball with him in his favorite court and spent time at his father's shop. He watched movies with you and ran famous lines together at your insistence.

Somewhere in between all that, he kissed you. And then you kissed him, again and again until you had to go back to Seoul. That wouldn't be your last.

This entire town has both of you in it with your 2 years together. It doesn't help that he remembers a lot of things, even those that are trivial. And especially the more special ones, like the lighting store where he bought a lamp because yours broke, and he drove to Seoul first thing in the morning to give it to you with a box of cupcakes because you were worried about an exam. The little shops and parks and temples are there, too, as if they're mocking him.

It's odd, trailing these streets where you both used to walk, his fingers only gingerly holding yours back then because you always walked just a little bit ahead, turning to the store windows to see what's inside. He always held you loosely like that, he realizes now. Perhaps a part of him knew early on that you're not meant to be held closely.

Now, though, you both walk side by side. There are no fingers grazing or giggles filling the air. It's a little more quiet, but the silence is welcomed. You'd spent a lot of those times together before, too, he recalls.

Yoongi sees a cafe that opened just last year. This is new to both of you so it's a safe choice. He leads you there and gives your orders on the counter. He returns with your drinks, as well as water and extra milk. He used to constantly tease you for your milk-with-coffee preference and always found it cute how you'd pout and make a disgusted face whenever you sipped his very bitter, no sugar americano. He catches himself before he passes his drink over to you.

"Are you sure your dad doesn't need you at the store?" You speak up first. "He seemed like he needed help."

"He just wanted me to check the slabs of wood he purchased," Yoongi responds. "People visit the shop to create their own pieces sometimes and he just wanted me to confirm that the quantity was okay."

"Woodworking workshops, huh?" You say, remembering the poster on the window. "I assume that was your idea?"

Yoongi was always fascinated with furniture and he wanted to learn how to make them on his own. You suppose he learned after all these years.

"It was. I spent a lot of time there when I was recovering and wanted to sell what I was making," he answers. "I was pretty sure other people would enjoy that kind of thing. It's good business."

"It is. And the place still looks so alive. It's nice to know that hasn't changed."

"A lot of things here haven't," he responds. "People included."

"I agree. My sisters are still unbearable, my father still doesn't confront them, my stepmom still doesn't know how to act around all of us," you chuckle bitterly. "I mean, not like I expected anything after seeing them for the first time in years."