01.release

I sat in my bedroom rereading all the letters Colin had sent to me over his months of travel. Each letter was organized by when they had been sent in an old dress box from my wardrobe. I sighed as I traded the paper for the bracelet sat in the corner of the box. Colin had continued to write to me frequently as I had asked him before he had left. My eyes continued to trail to the letter that ceased my responses. My teeth found my lower lip as I thought back to his words.

As I thought over the letter once more I began to think maybe Colin had a point. A year ago I would've never even considered the idea of courting with him. Now I some how found myself heartbroken over him feeling the same way. I took a deep breath before placing the lid on the box and returning it to the top of my wardrobe. Just as I closed the wardrobe I heard a timid knock on my door. Ginny cracked the door with a smile that I quickly returned.

"Miss Magnolia, something arrived for you downstairs."

"Very well, have it brought up please."

"I think you would like to see it yourself, Miss," Ginny grinned before turning to head to the foyer. With a sigh I followed behind her, attempting to think what could've been sent. Once I was at the top of the stairs I could see Daphne standing with her son August on her hip. I let out a gasp before running past Ginny and down the rest of the stairs.

"Daphne!"

She let out a small chuckle as I wrapped her in a side hug, careful to not crush little August. After pulling away I held my arms out as she handed him over to me. I smiled down at the little boy as his little eyes scanned his new surroundings.

"When did you two arrive to town?"

"Just now actually," Daphne sighed, "Our belongings are on their way to the house now. My mother asked me to come and assist Eloise with her presentation."

"Oh, she is debuting this season isn't she? My goodness Daph, when did we all get so old?"

"I wish I knew," She laughed, "But I am afraid Auggie still has some growing to do before he is welcome at the palace. I was wondering if you would be able to keep him while I am away?"

"Oh, Daphne! How many times have I written you to bring him? Of course he can stay!"

Daphne only stayed a moment more before rushing next door so she would be able to escort Eloise to the palace. I carried August up the stairs with me and poked my head into the drawing room. There the twins were attempting to teach Florence to play with the marbles.

"You'll never believe what I found in the foyer," I mused as I entered the room.

"Auggie!" Evangeline gasped as she scrambled to her feet. She quickly held out her arms for the boy and began cooing at him softly.

"And where is the Duchess?" Edward chuckled as he took Evangeline's turn.

"She is assisting Eloise in preparing for her presentation to the queen," I smiled as I sat by the window.

"Maggie, why aren't you going this year?" Florence asked looking up at me, oblivious to Edward now taking her turn.

"Because I must wait until a year and a day after Papa's passing before I may present myself again," I answered softly.

"How old you you be then?" Florence continued questioning.

"Oh by that season I shall be three and twenty."

"Is that why you'll be a spinster?"

My mouth fell agape at the young girls words, even Evangeline froze in her place as she eyed the two of us cautiously.

"Florence, I shall not be a spinster," I answered shaking my head, "Where ever did you hear such a thing?"

"Well Ed told me that you'll be a spinster before you get married," She turned to our brother who was now watching me out the corner of his eye.

"Edward Lenard Hayward," I gasped, "Why on earth would you say such a horrid thing?"

"It was only a joke, Maggie! Swear!"

"No," Florence's eyebrows knit together, "You said it was the truth because Maggie couldn't marry the Bridgerton boy last season."

I could feel the heat on my cheeks as I stood quickly from my chair. Edward stumbled getting up, hands raised as he tried to slowly back away.

"Maggie, she's only a girl! She doesn't know what she's saying!"

"I do too!" Florence cried.

Without a word I lunged at Edward but he was too quick and hopped behind Evangeline who gripped August tighter. I began chasing Edward around the drawing room berating him for his words as he repeatedly apologized. Florence watched us with wide eyes as Evangeline pleaded with us to stop before we scared the baby. Edward trapped himself in a corner, and attempted easing me once more.

"Sister, you know I would never dream of you being a spinster," He said with a forced laugh, "Especially since you are so very kind to others."

I rolled my eyes before swatting his arm repeatedly. Edward whines and yelped in protest but I continued, scolding him for saying such things.

"What on earth are is going on in here?"

Elliot's voice pulled my attention and Edward took the chance to run over to our older brother. Elliot looked tired and stressed in a way I had never seen before. My heart broke for a moment as I realized the ridiculousness of my anger. Josephine had tried to warn me of becoming a burden last season and I had merely rolled my eyes. Now I looked at my older brother and saw the consequence of my actions.

"My apologies, brother," I sighed as I slowly made my way back to the window.

"You apologize to him?" Edward gasped, holding his arm.

Before I could comment one of the staff came in and handed Evangeline a familiar looking parchment. She let out a gasp and quickly handed August off to a confused Elliot.

"She back!" Evangeline cried, scurrying to kneel next to me. Looking over her shoulder I could read Lady Whistledown written largely upon the top of the paper. I let out a small groan before turning my attention outside.

"Well what does it say?" Florence quipped as she scooted to sit with us.

"She's wrote of the start of the season of course."

"Why do you care so much?" Edward rolled his eyes.

"Because one day it shall be me in these papers," Evangeline smiled proudly.

"Oh I am sure you will be the talk of every scandal sheet in London," Her twin laughed as he laid himself across one of the couches, August curled on his chest.

"Never mind your scandal sheets, all of you please quiet down," Elliot pleaded as his eyes scanned over us, "I am attempting to get things done."

I silently nodded my head, eyes still transfixed on the scenery of the square. The dread of another season passing me by with not a single prospect or hope to marry weighing on me. Even when Daphne returned early and recounted the fuse Whistledown had caused to an excited Evangeline I could hardly bring myself to engage in conversation. By the time I retired I craved sleep dearly, yet instead found myself sat in bed once again looking over Colin's letters.

My eyes scanned each and everyone, attempting to find at what point he had lost interest in me. But there were no clues and tears began to sting at my eyes. With a heavy breath I stood from bed, letters in hand, and made my way over to my fading fire place. In one quick motion I released the letters into the flame causing it to scorch brighter for a moment before slowly fading once more.