05.nightmare

May 1803

Within the downstairs parlor of the Whilton House there was a mess of Haywards and Bridgertons scattered haphazardly across not only the furniture but the floor. Josephine sat by the window pretending to be reading while she was actually stealing glances outside as she waited for Anthony and his father to return from their hunting. Elliot, and Colin sat at a table learning to play chess as Benedict instructed the boys tiredly from the floor below. Daphne and I were giggling as we attempted and failed to write a song on the piano while holding up baby Gregory between us. Eloise, Evangeline, Edward, and Francesca all were trying to split a bag of candy evenly, only for the girls to have to continuously scold Edward as he stole pieces laughing.

I laughed at Daphne as she misplayed the cord as Gregory pulled her hair, earning a playful glare from her before a gasped pulled my attention. I turned to see Josephine stand from her seat, book falling to the floor forgotten. It felt as though not even a second passed before I heard the muffled screams of Anthony from outside. All our eyes were turned to the open door was we watch Lady Bridgerton run as quickly as her pregnant body would allow her outside to her son. We sat still a moment as the noise subsided only to all be on our feet as we heard Lady Bridgerton let out a bone chilling scream.

Each of us moved as quickly as our little legs would carry us out to see what was happening. Once outside we could see Anthony and Lady Bridgerton kneeling over the unmoving Viscount. No one moved place our places on the stairs until Anthony stumbled over, yelling at us all to return inside. When we returned to the drawing room Josephine quickly shut the curtains before making her way over to Anthony. They spoke in hushed voices as Benedict joined them but once they noticed our curious eyes Anthony quickly shut the door.

Edward quickly shuffled to the window and attempted to pull open the curtains before Elliot pulled him away. I looked over to Daphne who still held her youngest brother, her eyes were filled with tears and refused to meet mine. The younger three girls sat silently in a circle around their candy, not one of them reaching for a piece as the uneasiness of the situation overtook them. As I scanned the room I noticed Colin curled in the corner, unmoving. I glanced back at Daphne once more to ensure she was still in her secluded state before making my way over to the boy.

I slid to the floor next to him but he seemed as if he didn't even notice as he stared off into nothing. My eyebrows knit together in concern before I slowly placed my hand over top of his. Slowly he turned to me, his blue eyes were filled to the brim with tears that threatened to spill at any moment. I attempted to give a comforting squeeze to his hand only for him to stare at me a moment more. Just as I was beginning to believe it best to leave him alone I felt Colin crash into me. He had his arm wrapped around me as he hid his face in my chest, his body silently wracking with harsh sobs. I carefully placed my arm on his back and began shushing him quietly. My other hand made it's way to his hair and I began to brush it softly, thinking of how it soothed Evangeline after her nightmares.

But this wasn't just a dream the Bridgerton's could wake from. The harsh reality of the moment weighed on me as I realized what we had just witnessed and I gripped Colin tighter, worried that he would fall to pieces any moment if I let him go. The room stayed like that for some time, even as we heard the wails of Lady Bridgerton from the stairwell in the home or the bustling of staff doing who knows what. With each sound my grip on Colin became tighter, even after his tears had stopped.

It wasn't until early evening when then sun was just beginning to fade that the door to the parlor opened to reveal my father. He stood looking ghostly pale and drained in a way I had never seen him. I watched as he tried to form words that never seemed to leave his mouth before simply grabbing the hands of the younger girls and leading them away. A few minutes later he returned to lead away  Daphne who never released her hold on baby Gregory. Then again he came for Elliot and Edward.

When he returned the final time his eyes met mine with a sad look as he noticed Colin curled into me. He made his way over and carefully shook Colin to get him to turn to face him. My heart broke when I saw the red and puffy eyes of the boy. He appeared to still be crying despite no tears flowing from his eyes. My father held his arms open and Colin flew into them, shaking as be breathed. Giving me a small smile my dad lifted Colin and carried him out of the room.

I knew I should have just gone to my room then but instead I continued to sit in my position. My eyes scanned my tear soaked and wrinkled dress before looking over the room. If I tried I could imagine nothing had changed from when Josephine stood. The chess game hasn't moved, the candy was sprawled on the floor, and Josephine's book was still abandoned by her chair. I closed my eyes as I attempted to transport myself back to that moment, imagining myself still sat at the piano with Daphne and Gregory. It wasn't until I felt my father's soft hand on my shoulder that I accepted that the afternoon was gone, and I reluctantly stood to follow him to my room.