11.absolutely

After a few moments of confusion we were all ushered out to the reception by one of the Queen's men. Everyone was speaking in hushed tones trying to decipher whatever it was that we witnessed. My siblings and I stood nursing lemonades as we observed the mess that was unfolding.

"Elliot," Florence started nervously, "Is Anthony still going to marry Miss Edwina?"

"I don't know," Elliot answered lowly as he fidgeted.

"But he must," Evangeline whispered, "If not his whole family shall be ruined."

"It does not matter. Whatever Anthony decides we shall stand by the Bridgertons as we always have," Elliot said sternly before finishing his lemonade quickly.

The rest of the afternoon we endured the suns heat and gossip surrounding our friends until we were all finally informed the wedding was not going to proceed. As the crowd thinned Elliot insisted we wait for the Bridgertons. Upon spotting the family Elliot made his way to Lady Bridgerton and begun speaking with her in hushed tones. Daphne made her way to me with a worried face and I enveloped her in a hug.

"Daphne whatever happened?" Evangeline asked as Daphne and I pulled away from each other.

"Oh sweet, E," Daphne sighed, "I wish I knew how to explain it all but I am not even sure I understand."

"Where is Anthony? Is he alright?" I asked, realizing the viscount was not present with the rest of his family.

"I am unsure where he is," Daphne answered looking around to try and spot her brother.

"Oh he'll be alright, if anything he is probably just embarrassed a woman turned him down," Benedict jested. His words were met with solemn and sour faces, only interrupted by Anthony stomping past us as he loaded himself into his family's carriage. Without another word his family followed worriedly, leaving us with our own concern about the people we loved.

   .❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

That night I was unable to sit still as I waited for Colin. As my impatience took over I quickly made my way to the garden and when I saw no sign of Colin still I made my way into the Bridgerton yard in hopes of finding him. Growing closer to the house I glanced in each window, looking for any sign of someone still awake.

"Maggie?"

I turned to see Eloise sat on one of the swings a cigarette in hand as she stared at me with confusion. I looked back to the house quickly before making my way to the other swing, sitting next to her.

"Couldn't sleep," I sighed leaning my head on the rope.

"Neither could I," She laughed before offering me the cigarette with raised brows. I offered a small smile before taking it from her hand, as the thick air filled my lungs I let out a cough causing Eloise to laugh.

"Perhaps not for me," I choked handing it back to her. After a moment of silence I looked back at Eloise before asking, "How is Anthony?"

"Your guess is as good as mine," She sighed, "He left to his apartment as soon as we arrived home."

"Oh, I truly hope he is well. I can not imagine what he and Miss Edwina must be feeling."

"It just doesn't make sense, all of this because a woman changed her mind. I can not stand the way the society works where woman have no ability to make a choice without ruining herself and everyone involved."

I stared at Eloise softly as her face contorted with stress and anger with her words. Biting my lip I nodded along, unsure of how to comfort her. We sat in silence for some time until she finished her cigarette, stomping the butt into the dirt before she stood.

"Well thank you for your company, Maggie," She smiled as she started towards her house, only to stop and turn back to me cautiously, "You won't tell my mother that I was smoking will you?"

"Oh, a young lady such as yourself would never indulge in such habits," I smiled at her.

She smiled brightly before making her way to the house, leaving me sat alone in silence. I waited hopefully for Colin on the swing, rocking myself back and forth slowly. The night air was still and held some of the leftover warmth from the afternoon even in the moonlight. I smiled as I looked at the softly lit trees, hedges, and flowers throughout the garden thinking they looked better in the moon light. The sound of a creaking door pulled my attention causing my head to snap into the direction of the Bridgerton house. From my spot I could make out the moonlight figure of Colin, I smiled and let out a whistle to get his attention.

"Maggie?" He whispered, squinting as he made his way to me, "What are you doing here?"

"I was far too rattled from the afternoon to sit waiting in my room," I explained as he sat down on the other swing.

"Understandable," Colin sighed as he began swinging slowly, "My mother has been worried sick over what to do."

His words hung in the air as we swung silently. I tried to find the words to comfort him through the situation but could not think of how to ease the pain of possible ruin. Instead I simply reached my hand to rest on his that held the rope of the swing.

"I believe it would be best for you all if your family were to distance themselves from my own until things settle," Colin said with a sigh as he rested his head on my hand.

"Colin, we would never leave you all to suffer through this alone."

"You Haywards have had a hard enough year without inserting yourselves into problems that do not involve you."

"Well you will have to speak with Elliot," I shrugged, "He is quite set on standing with your family."

"That is because you come from a home full of kind hearted people," Colin smiled softly, pressing a soft kiss on my fingers that rested on his. I felt my face heat and I turned my attention to the ground, slightly worn from the years of feet dragged under the swing. I could still feel Colin's eyes on me, causing me to blush further as I began chewing my lower lip.

"I do not wish to ruin your name, Maggie."

"I guarantee you I am more than capable of ruining it myself," I chuckled, glancing over at him.

"Don't say that," He said suppressing a smile, "You are a delightful woman."

"Who is sitting in the dark with a man," I said rolling my eyes as I swung into his shoulder to nudge him.

"Oh yes, I shall absolutely be the ruin of you Magnolia," He laughed lowly.

My breath hitched at the sound of his voice so deep and smooth. Typically I despised anyone using my real name but hearing him say it in such a way sent an electric shock through me. I looked at him to see him observing me with a smug face.

"I absolutely loathe you, Colin Bridgerton," I breathed.

"And I absolutely love you, Maggie Hayward."

We sat for a while longer and returned to discussing Anthony and Miss Sharma. It wasn't until I found myself fighting to keep my eyes open that Colin lead me back to my own home. Laying in the comfort of my bed under the light weight of my sheets I found myself smiling as I replayed his words in my mind.

"I absolutely love you, Maggie Hayward."