07.resurrection

The rest of the time leading up to the arrival of the ton members was uneventful other than Daphne's near constant worries of Anthony and the Sharmas. She refused to listen to my attempts to reason and eventually she ceased speaking to me on the subject. Colin took our renewed friendship seriously, taking advantage of every conversation opportunity to speak to me. Slowly my reservation of spending time with him faded and our time together became enjoyable. As people began arriving to Whilton House we were sat under a tent with Elliot and Florence attempting to teach the younger girl a game of cards.

"It's too hard!" Florence whined throwing her cards down.

"It just takes a bit of practice," Colin smiled leaning over her shoulder with his cards, "Here which one do you think I should play?"

Florence eyed the cards with cautious determination before pointing at one of the cards. Colin hummed lowly and she quickly moved her finger to point at the card next to it.

"See you're a natural," Colin grinned as he played his card, earning a fit of giggles from Florence.

"Or perhaps she's learning from someone who cheats," I grinned playing my card.

"Bold accusations from a woman who cheats at every game," Elliot laughed.

"Oh! Elliot you offend me," I feigned a cry as I leaned back in my faux hurt.

The table fell into hushed laugher as we continued the game. With Florence's assistance Colin secured a far from humble victory. As he and Florence celebrated I stood from the table with a stretch excited for a promenade around before the boys went on their hunt. Elliot linked his arms with mine as Florence insisted Colin carry her on his back. We walked the yard slowly allowing the sunny spring air to fill the air our conversations could not.

"Miss Hayward!"

I turned to see Henry approaching us with a wide smile. I found my own face matching his as I observed him under the afternoon sun, his dark features found a lovely contrast to the lightness of the grass and flowers. He slowed his pace as he neared us, sending a small nod to Elliot and Colin.

"Mr. Elis, I didn't know you'd be attending!"

"Oh how could I turn down such an invitation, not only do I get the lovely escape of the country but I am able to spend some time with you."

A blush formed on my cheeks but my attention was pulled away by Colin clearing his throat, "Perhaps we should continue our promenade, Maggie. That is if we intend on returning before the hunt is to begin."

"Of course," I nodded before turning back to Henry, "Would you like to join us?"

"I would love to," He smiled before offering me his arm. Henry and I trailed behind Colin and my siblings falling into the a small conversation on the events of the town since my departure.

"Most everyone was so enraptured by the chance of an engagement between the Viscount and Miss Edwina Sharma."

"I find that believable but I think Anthony has intentions of a more complex proposal especially after the wait he put his family through," I laughed.

"I must admit," Henry said in a hushed tone, "I had some worries that there would be more than one engagement by our arrival."

"How so?" I asked as my eyebrows knit together in confusion.

"Well with your closeness to Mr. Colin Bridgerton and the events of last season," Henry trailed off, eyeing Colin as he walked ahead of us.

"Mr. Elis I can assure you there is nothing but a friendship between Colin and I."