12.ruin

The next morning after breaking our fast Elliot insisted we join the Bridgerton family in a promenade to show we stood by them. The twins protested the entire time we prepared ourselves, Edward simply didn't wish to walk whereas Evangeline wouldn't stop whining about how we would be ruined. They both finally stopped when we made our way outside, meeting the Bridgerton family between our homes.

"Haywards!" Lady Bridgerton called out with a smile when she saw us, "Thank you so much for joining us."

"Of course, Lady Bridgerton. It is the least we could do to repay all the kindness your family has shown us throughout the years," Elliot smiled, before gesturing for us to go on.

As we went Lady Bridgerton attempted to greet members of the ton as we passed them but only received nervous and judgmental glances in return. I clutched Elliot's arm slightly tighter as I began to worry that the damage done may be worse than imagined. Exasperated by the treatment she was receiving Lady Bridgerton stopped in her tracks with a huff.

"This is ridiculous," She said shaking her head at her eldest son.

"Perhaps it just needs time to settle, Lady Bridgerton," I offered unsurely.

The older woman sighed as she looked off ahead of us. It was as though the entire ton had turned against the Bridgerton's overnight, and now by associating our family was grouped within their scandal. We returned to our homes glumly, after realizing no matter how long we walked we were unable to receive even a gesture as a greeting from one person.

"I told you this was a mistake," Evangeline sighed as she removed her gloves.

"I'm starting to agree with her," Edward shrugged as he received curious glances from us, "And that's how you know it's bad."

"We shall continue to support the Bridgerton family in anyway possible, just as they have done for the Hayward family for years."

Elliot's words hung heavy in the air as we contemplated their meaning. The mourning period of my father was soon over and next season Evangeline was to make her debut into society as a lady. Scandal was the last thing we needed, especially after Elliot just becoming the head of the household as any issues that came about would reflect poorly on him. As my mind raced with each negative outcome of our families friendships I could not help but wonder how it would effect my relationship with Colin. I tried to busy myself with needlework in the drawing room but Evangeline's nonstop pacing and fretting made it impossible.

"Our brother has truly gone mad," She declared looking at Edward, "That can be the only explanation as why he would send us to ruin."

"Sister, I believe you are only making it worse on yourself by thinking so much of it," Edward groaned.

"But how could I think of anything else? I wish to marry next season and if we are wrapped up in the scandal with the Bridgertons and Sharmas then I shall not have any suitable prospects."

"Like any man would truly wish to marry you," Edward chuckled before Evangeline threw a book at him.

His face turned red with anger and he quickly stomped out of the room without another word. Evangeline sighed as she retrieved the book from the floor and placed it back on the table she had collected it from. She then allowed herself to fall on to the spot of the couch next to me, causing me to prick my finger and grit my teeth.

"I will apologize. I know he was only trying to make light to cheer me," She said resting her head on my shoulder.

"I said nothing of the matter," I huffed as I placed my needlework to the side.

"Yes, but I know you well enough to know you would lecture me for my anger. He just is always so—"

"So Edward?"