08.first party

Spring 1802

My hands gripped the banister as I eagerly leaned over trying to catch a glimpse of the party that was echoing from below. Daphne held the back of my dress as she warned me that I could fall over the edge.

"Oh I wish we could go down their and join them," I sighed as fell back and spun.

"Maggie we must be quiet or our parents shall send us to bed!" Daphne scolded in a harsh whisper.

"Perhaps that is where you two should be then."

Elliot and Colin approached with devious smiles causing Daphne to go pale as she feared we were caught. I simply rolled my eyes at the boys and took Daphne's hand to pull her into a dance.

"Or we should have a party of our own!" I laughed as Daphne and I swayed to the music from below.

"Maggie! We shall be seen and surely be in so much trouble," Daphne cried as she pulled away. I rolled my eyes and made my way back to the banister, leaning once more to try to see any of the excitement below.

"Daph if we are caught I shall take the blame," Elliot laughed as he grabbed her hand and spun her sending her into a hushed fit of giggles. They began dancing exaggeratedly to the song, Daphne crushing Elliot's toes only once but he gave no complaints. I smiled as I watched the two, imagining they were truly at a ball surrounded by woman and men dressed in extravagant gowns and suits. I nodded my head along to the tune as my fantasy grew, turning Daphne into a beautiful princess and Elliot into the kindest of Kings.

"Might I have this dance?"

I turned to see Colin bent over in an exaggerated bow as he peered up at me playfully. I curtsied as low as I could, nearly tumbling over, before I took his hand and allowed him to guide me through. My eyes were fixed on our feet as I tried and failed to avoid his toes.

"I'm so sorry," I giggled after smushing his foot once more. I began to pull away from the dance entirely only for Colin to tighten his grip. He moved my feet to stand over his own and began to move though he was slowed by my added weight. I looked up at him with a smile that was dull compared to the one that graced his own features. We continued dancing until the music began to fade as the party died and despite sleep fighting it's way into our bodies we rushed quietly into Elliot and Colin's room. There we stayed up all night talking about the party and what we believed our first party would be like.

"I shall wear the most beautiful dresses," Daphne sighed, "Made of the finest silks and covered in spectacular jewels and embroidered designs."

"Oh you'll look lovely if you showed up in rags Daphne," I laughed before gently pushing her arm, "I'm sure you'll get stolen away the moment the ton knows you are on the market."

"That's only if the men can ignore her ego," Colin laughed as Daphne chucked a pillow at him.

As the night continued Elliot and Daphne fell into snoring slumbers as Colin and I continued to laugh. Colin had pulled out a bag of sweet candies he had hidden from Elliot upon their arrival. Colin continued to throw random candies at me as I laughed around the caramel in my mouth. He stopped as he doubled over in quiet laughter, his eyes sparkling in the dwindling candle. When we both gained our composure we sat silently for a moment just looking around the room.

"You know," Colin pulled my attention back to him with a sigh, "You give Daphne far too much credit."

"How so?"

"She'd surely struggle her first season."

"Colin, that is so rude!"

"I only mean that since she'll be fighting with you for the attention of the tim's gentleman," Colin blushed as he stared at his hands.

My own cheeks reddened and I hoped that it was hidden by the low light. I slowly opening another piece of candy before smiling as I threw it into Colin's hair. We both broke out into hushed laughter once more.

I did not remember falling asleep but when I woke my head was in a sleeping Colin's lap. He still sat upright against his bed, and I sat up slowly afraid to wake him. Daphne and Elliot still sprawled across on their sides. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes before crawling over to shake Daphne awake.

"Daph we have to go back to our room," I whispered as I shook her.

Daphne hummed sleepily before pulling both of us to our feet. We crept to our room down the hall and quickly crawled under the covers of the bed.

"Maggie you were right, sneaking to see the party made last night splendid," Daphne sighed as she closed her eyes.

"Oh Daph you don't even know," I smiled before allowing myself to drift back into a peaceful sleep where I dreamt of dancing with a handsome blue eyed Prince all night long.