15.an unsuitable man

After the beautiful wedding between Kate and Anthony the couple spent some time in the country home alone before inviting the rest of us. The afternoon of our arrival we stood waiting for the new couple to join us for a game of pall mall.

"Could we not just start without them?" Hyacinth groaned as she rested on her mallet.

"Have patience, Hyacinth," Daphne sighed.

Just as the younger girl was going to protest the couple made their way out of the house, smiles taking over their whole faces.

"About time!" Edward called.

"We left the mallet of de—"

Before Benedict could finish his words the couple lunged for the black mallet, Kate procuring it once more with a victorious laugh. I shook my head at the couple as we began to make our way to start the game, we only made it a few feet before realizing they were still in their previous spot kissing each other.

"They're useless," I laughed.

"No, they're simply in love," Daphne smiled as she glanced between Colin and I knowingly. I looked over my shoulder to see Colin grinning at his sisters words as he tried to keep his gaze away from us.

"Love is far to complex," I muttered as Antony and Kate rejoined us, allowing the game to finally begin.

  .❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

Tea time was a welcome escape from the summer air after Kate secured her first victory. I found myself in the drawing room downstairs, staring out the window at the hyacinth's growing proudly near the path. One of the staff brought me a plate to make my tea and I mumbled a quiet thank you before preparing it for myself.

"There you are! We've been searching for you."

I looked up to find Daphne, Colin, and little August making their way into the room to join me. Daphne removed August from her hip, allowing him to crawl freely on the floor as her and Colin sat in the open chairs.

"I wasn't exactly hiding," I chuckled as I tested my tea. I scrunched my nose at it's bitterness before adding another spoon of tea.

"Maggie, you seem so troubled lately," Daphne frowned as she poured herself a cup of tea.

"No trouble really," I smiled.

"You truly think we will believe that? When you've been sulking since the seasons end?"

I frowned at Colin's words, though his voice was playful his eyes were filled with concern. Turning my attention to Daphne I only found the same look on her own face, causing me to bite my lip as the nerves grew inside me.

"Someone knows something of me," I gulped, "Something that could cause me to truly be ruined if shared."

"Well it cannot be so bad," Daphne reassured as she rested a hand on my knee, "Whatever it is I'm sure we could fix it."

I shook my head as my eyes found my lap. Daphne squeezed my knee and I turned back to her, "I do not think this person will let the matter go easily."

"If you tell us perhaps we could help," Colin offered, glancing between his sister and I to gauge if his words were acceptable.

"Colin," I started, only for my eyes to become misty and a lump to form in my throat.

"Yes?"

"Henry Elis saw us kiss," I choked, "He saw us that night when we were in the woods. He told me at the Featherington party, he intends to marry me as he believes you an unsuitable man due to it."

Daphne wrapped me in a hug as small sobs began to flow out of me, knowing there were no words to be said in this moment. The only ones I could form were to beg the two not to tell anyone. Silent nods showed they would keep it to themselves but I did not sooth my anxieties. Daphne did not release me from her grasp until her son began to cry and she had to excuse herself to feed him, leaving me wiping my tears as Colin stared at me quietly.

"I'm so sorry, Maggie," He said, voice barely a whisper.

"There is nothing you could have done."

"I will make this right," He said, more sure this time as he grasped my hand in his, "Maggie, I swear we will be married and have the life we have spoke of. There is nothing he can do to stop me."

I allowed myself to smile slightly at his words, my eyes only focused on our interlocked hands. He squeezed my hand and I looked up to meet his eyes, he gazed at me softly and I somehow found myself eased.

"I love you, Maggie," He whispered.

"And I love you, Colin."