14.the woods

The next afternoon we were met with news of Kate Sharma being unconscious after having a fall from a horse that required stitches in her head. I had flowers sent to her on our behalf before making my way to the Bridgerton house to see how the family was taking the news. I had been waiting in the foyer for the staff to usher me upstairs when Colin appeared at the top of the stairs.

"Maggie! What are you doing here?" He smiled as he quickly made his way down the stairs.

"I heard the news of Miss Kate Sharma's accident, and wanted to see how you all were doing."

He nodded a moment, glancing behind him before turning back to me, "Anthony is quiet distraught. He found her on his morning ride, and the doctor said if hadn't she may have died."

My heart clenched with sympathy for the older girl, despite not knowing her well at all she never done anything unkind to me. Then I began to worry for poor Anthony as I realized the memories a terrifying event such as that must have brought him.

"That is so terrible, poor Anthony," I breathed with a shake of my head.

"I'm sure it'll all be alright, Maggie," Colin sighed as he pulled me into a hug, "You mustn't worry yourself over things you are unable to help."

I allowed myself to relax in his arms, the familiar warmth of him making me smile into his chest.

"Miss Hayward," The voice of Anthony from the stairs caused Colin and I to step from one another quickly, "I wasn't aware we were expecting you this afternoon."

"No," I shook my head, attempted to forced the red from my face, "I came when I heard of Miss Kate to check on your family, I know how close you all are."

"How very kind, but perhaps you should take your leave now that you have seen we are well."

"Brother—"

"Of course," I cut Colin off before sending a nod to them both, "Have a good day, gentlemen."

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

It was days before Kate woke, and just in time for the end of the season party the Featherington family was hosting. Word was the older sister had plans to depart for India the next morning, but I hoped she'd join the ton for one last night. At the very least to show off her miraculous recovery. Elliot and I made our way to the party in new outfits, mine a laurel green dress with sapphire gems and Elliot's a simple suit though it fit him nicely.

The Featherington's spared no expense of their newfound money on the party. In the center of the ball room there was a rotating platform the sat the musicians. The crowds were spread throughout the room discussing the events of the season, perhaps the most eventful one seen in years. Elliot and I took our spots on the wall as usual to avoid the ill speaking of our neighbors, and in an unsuccessful attempt to avoid the judgmental gazes that fell upon us.

"Lord and Miss Hayward," Lady Featherington cooed as she approached us, her daughters standing proudly beging her, "I must say I am surprised at your attendance this evening."

"We were invited, we're we not Lady Featherington?" Elliot replied in a bored tone as the focused on the bubbles in his champagne.

"Of course, I just meant—"

"What?" I snapped earning a shocked look from the women, "You meant you believe we should cower from society simply due to our friendships with the Bridgertons and Sharmas? That we have reason to be embarrassed when you're the one marrying your daughter off to her cousin for funds?"