10.engagement

As the other guest departed I stood between Daphne and Colin waving them all off. We had spent the morning talking amongst ourselves earning quiet a few glares from Lady Bridgerton for being rude. I was trying to hush my laughter as Colin poked my side repeatedly when the voice of Henry caught my attention.

"Miss Hayward, might I have a moment?"

My lips formed a thin line as I nodded before making my way down the stairs to him. Behind him was his carriage where his parents and Constance sat waiting impatiently to return to London. Anxiety radiated off Henry like heat from a flame causing me to glance back nervously only to find Colin watching with a stern glare not so subtly.

"I wanted to apologize, again. I tend to be a passionate person and the biggest downside to that is I allow my emotions to get the better of me," He sighed staring at his feet.

"I understand but you were—"

"Out of line, I am aware. But if you allow me I swear that I will do better in the future of our friendship."

"Just a friendship?"

"I can not promise that I will never wish for something more, as you are one of the most extraordinary women I have had the pleasure of knowing. I can however ensure you I will make every attempt to keep my jealousy at bay."

"Henry! Make haste!" Constance called from the carriage.

He looked back towards the carriage with a sigh before turning back to me, "Shall you decide to forgive me I am sure you can find me back in London. It has been a pleasure, Miss Hayward."

As he walked away I felt a twinge of sympathy for my cruelty and so I called out, "Mr. Elis, you should visit soon."

Henry turned back to me appearing confused for a moment before realization struck him and he began beaming. He nodded briskly before hopping into the carriage, waving at me as they pulled away. I smiled as I made my way back up the stairs to stand between Colin and Daphne once more. Colin's eyes were still fixated on me intensely but Daphne gave me a small smile as she grabbed my arm.

"And what did he want?" She asked in a singsong voice.

"Simply to say goodbye and finish a conversation from yesterday evening," I laughed, earning another look from Lady Bridgerton.

"Seemed like quiet the long goodbye," Colin said lowly turning his head forward. I gently bumped my shoulder into his side to regain his attention. When he looked back at me I simply smiled and after a moment he returned the gesture. We returned to our silent waving of the departing guest until it was just the Featheringtons and Sharmas loading into their carriage. I felt bad for Edwina who seemed disappointed at leaving without a proposal as her sister Kate tried to comfort her. Just as both girls were about to get into the carriage Anthony came running out the house calling for them to wait. Everyone froze in his movements as he approached them.

"Might I speak with you?" He breathed heavily as he slowed his pace.

"Of course" Kate answered quietly with wide eyes.

"That was meant for Miss Edwina," He said moving past the older of the girls before dropping on one knee, "Miss Edwina Sharma, will you marry me?"

Gasp sprang out from each of us who were watching intently as Edwina celebrated and agreed to be his Viscountess. Everyone erupted in applause at the scene except for Kate who seemed in a near state of shock and Daphne who seemed almost disappointed. After the last two carriages pulled away we all made our way inside to begin packing ourselves so we might leave before tea time. As I stood in the familiar bedroom part of me longed to stay so that I may avoid the inevitable torture that comes from being in town. A knock on my door pulled me from my thoughts and I opened it to find my siblings dressed and ready for departure. Edward nagged me about taking centuries only for Evangeline to 'accidentally' push him into a wall. Elliot thanked Anthony and Lady Bridgerton once more for the invitation and their hospitality before we all squeezed into the carriage, Florence having to sit on Elliot's lap.

"I wish I was allowed to attend the party," She whined as she watched the fading house.

"I'm afraid you will simply have to wait a few years, little one," Elliot smiled as he tussled her hair.

"Or perhaps next time we throw our own," Edward joked but Elliot's eyes met mine as his face formed a knowing smile. I looked out the window as I bit my lip, refusing to be pulled into any further trouble until our return to town.

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

The month leading up to the wedding between Anthony and Edwina were calm, and I began to feel as though life was going back to normal. On days Daphne didn't find herself helping her mother plan the wedding, or fulfilling her duties as Duchess, we would spend time together promenading and giggling as though we were still little girls. When Daphne wasn't there to spend time with me I found Henry arriving for visits with Elliot and I. Most visits were short and simple as Elliot was often busy but Henry never ceased to make every second memorable. My favorite time of day though was always after dinner when I would find myself waiting excitedly in bed for the distinct sound of rocks hitting my window.

Colin had visited nearly every night when everyone in our homes was fast asleep. We would sit in the garden for hours some night just talking about everything and nothing. He made it clear that after Anthony's wedding and my mourning period were over he fully intended to court me once more. I often tried to avoid the topic of our situation simply because each time it came up Colin would become an apologetic mess, constantly insisting he never meant to treat me as anything but a gentlewoman. I would try to tell him that I didn't feel any regret for our secret kiss or even the late night meetings we found ourselves in, but Colin was only consoled by the fact he was determined to make things right.

"Colin it's not as serious as you are making it seem," I'd laugh at his apologies.

"It is, Maggie," He'd sigh, "But I give you my word that I will make it right, and then we shall have the most spectacular life together."

"Oh really?"

"Of course! The first thing we will do is travel to Greece so you may see it yourself, and perhaps Scotland as I believe you should enjoy the vast green sceneries. And when we return well, we shall do whatever you desire my love."

With all the talks of our future I found myself gazing the chapel of the wedding with critical eyes. It was gorgeous, as not only did Lady Bridgerton have part in it but she was greatly assisted by both Lady Danbury and Queen Charlotte herself. Yet I found myself making a mental note to request something more simple at my own wedding. Edward noticed my wandering eyes and nudged me from his seat next to me. He stared at me quizzically when I turned to him but I offered no explanations to my sudden interest in the chapels decor.

On my other side sat Elliot constantly fidgeting as though he could not be more ready to leave. When the music began that signaled the start of the ceremony he practically jumped to his feet causing me to suppress a laugh. At the alter Benedict stood with Anthony across from Edwina and Kate. The four of them all looked amazing but anxiety was riddling the face of both Anthony and the older Sharma sister. As the ceremony proceeded it only got worse, coming to a climax when Kate accidentally dropped a bracelet she had been fiddling with. Both her and Anthony hurried to retrieve it, their hands grasping each other's around the bracelet as they shared eye contact for a moment too long.

I looked at Elliot with confusion only to find him returning the same curious look to me. Anthony stumbled back to his spot with Edwina to finish their vows, drawing our attention back to the soon to be couple. Edwina however stood with a face of complete shock as she looked between her fiancé and sister. When the priest urged her to repeat after him she finally snapped to attention.

"I need a moment," Edwina gasped before darting out of the chapel.

The crowd began to break out in whispers as Lady Sharma and Kate chased after the younger girl, only for their conversation to be ceased by the sudden popping of fireworks outside. I sent a worried look toward the Bridgerton family who were already making their way out as well, presumably to settle whatever issue arose.

"Well, that was interesting," Edward chuckled, earning a stern look from Elliot as well as a swat from Evangeline.