13.harmony

When we arrived within the home we all stood in silent shock as we scanned the empty space. Elliot sent Florence upstairs to find the younger Bridgerton children for the evening, leaving the four of us alone as the music flowed from the balcony.

"Might we leave now?" Evangeline whined quietly as she tugged Elliot's sleeve.

"Sister, you must compose yourself before anyone else arrives as I will not have you embarrassing us tonight."

"Oh, Elliot just admit it," Edward chuckled, "No one else is coming."

Elliot glared at the twins with eyes full of disappointment as I let out a small sigh. Moments later the Bridgerton's descended from the stairs, their faces slowly turning from one of pride to one of embarrassment. Before anything could be said the Sharmas and Lady Danbury entered, sharing the same course of emotions as the Bridgerton family had just seconds before them. The older woman had a brief conversation and the music stopped before it was suggested we all simply depart and retire for the evening.

"Nonsense," Anthony shook his head as he turned towards the stairs, "Hyacinth!"

"Yes, brother?" Hyacinth called down as her, Gregory, and Florence appeared at the banister.

"Won't you come down here and dance with your brother?" Anthony smiled.

"Really?" The girl gasped before quickly making her down.

"If she gets to dance so do I!" Gregory called as he quickly followed his sister.

Florence looked at Anthony over the banister with wide eyes, "Me too?"

"Of course! Everyone is welcome, tonight's theme is harmony is it not, mother?"

Lady Bridgerton smiled at her son with pride as we all formed a circle, taking each others hands. Anthony requested a country tune and we all fell into the steps with the rhythm. I danced with Florence who was too busy laughing to focus on the steps. When the song came to an end we all stood out of breath with smiles on our faces. Hyacinth excitedly requested another dance but we dismissed with light laughs and shaking of heads. We all dispersed through the room, taking up light conversation as we snacked on the treats spread across the tables.

"Though not what expected, I believe tonight a success," Benedict sighed as he and Elliot sipped their drinks.

"I would argue we should do this more often," I laughed, earning a nod from the two boys. We continued light conversation for a bit longer before our attention was drawn to Lady Bridgerton and Lady Danbury reading over a pamphlet.

"What is it?" Eloise asked.

Her mother handed her the paper with a frown, Eloise scanned it quickly before looking at everyone in panic. She ran up the stairs without a word, and we all looked at Lady Bridgerton confused. When she offered no explanation I followed Eloise's path to find her sprawled across her bed sobbing.

"El?" I called quietly as I closed the door behind me.

"I do not need your pity, please leave me be!"

I frowned as I sat on the bed next to her, placing my hand carefully over hers and stroking it lightly with my thumb. "Then I shall offer no pity, only a listening ear," I said as I attempted to smile.

"Whistledown wrote of me," She sighed shakily, "She wrote of me going to feminist rallies and an unsupervised friendship with a boy of a lower station."

I attempted to hide my shock at her words. Though I always knew Eloise was one of strong opinions I had never imagined she would end up in a situation such as this. I tightened my grip on her hand before letting out a tense breath.

"There are worse things that could have happened," I attempted to sooth her, only earning a harsh laugh between her sobs.

"I have ruined my name, and the name of my family."

"Ruin is only temporary with our neighbors," I said with a tight smile, "Think of how many families believed they would never recover, only to now be going about business as usual."

"We both know it is different this time," Eloise shook her head before meeting my eyes, "I am already so unfavorable, now I truly shall be alone."

"Eloise, you are cared about by so many you shall never truly be alone. Your family, and even my own, would never forsake such a kind girl."

A smile slowly found it's way onto her lips and Eloise wrapped me in a loose hug. We sat for some time in each others arms before Elliot knocked on the door to inform me we were retiring for the evening. I gave Eloise one tight squeeze before following Elliot and my siblings to our home.

"I do feel bad for El," Evangeline sighed as we entered our house.

"And here I thought you'd only be focused on your own reputation plummeting from this party," Edward jested only to receive glares from his twin and older brother.

We all made our ways to our rooms silently, weighed down by the events of society once more. I sat by my window, waiting for Colin to appear in the yard. My eyelids were beginning to become heavy as thunder began to echo through the night. I accepted that Colin would not come this evening with the events and the weather, slowly making my way to my bed.

I allowed myself to fall into an easy sleep despite my worries for the younger girl next door. Never did I think as I closed my eyes that things were only going to worsen.