02.the palace

The next afternoon I was out front of my house scouting the yellow rose bushes for the perfect blossoms. I had a small basket with a few already clipped but desired a handful more to fill a vase for Elliot. After seeing his disheveled appearance the afternoon prior I had told myself the least I could do for my brother was collect some flowers to brighten his study. I smiled as I found the fullest blossom yet and reached out to clip it, only to be pricked by one of it's thorns. I let out a sharp breath before bringing the finger to my lip.

"Only you could forget a rose has thorns."

Instantly I recognized the voice and in shock the basket I held fell to the ground, spilling my roses. I turned to see Colin Bridgerton looking down at me, his signature smile plastered on his face. I struggled to find words as I looked him over. Within the few months he had been gone Colin had filled out, become tanner, and even was beginning to grow out his facial hair.

"Mr. Bridgerton," I breathed, "I had not realized you returned to town."

"I only just arrived, I was planning on surprising my family but I saw you and figured I should say hello."

"Well," I shook my head trying to find words, "Hello."

Colin simply smiled at me but I couldn't bare holding the eye contact, instead focusing on my shoes.

"Have you been well?"

"Yes," I answered.

Another moment of silence passed, my eyes still on my shoes though I could feel his on me.

"You didn't write," He finally said.

My head shot up and I could see he looked almost distraught. I began biting my lip before shaking my head no, unable to find an excuse.

"Did I do something to offend you?"

I shook my head again, and Colin ran a hand through his hair. He looked around as though he would find the reason I hadn't written in the yard. When he finally looked at me again there was no hint of his smile.

"I should go see my family," He stated flatly, "It was nice seeing you again, Miss Hayward."

Hearing him call me that made me stiffen as each letter he wrote he only ever called me 'Maggie'. I watched as he turned and walked towards his own family home and only once I heard the door of it close did I move. I made my way back inside, tears silently rolling down my cheeks, no longer caring to pick roses for Elliot's sake.

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

That evening before dinner Elliot requested me in his study. Standing before the door I forced myself to knock confidently and took a deep breath once I heard his muffled voice call me in. He sat at the desk that was covered in so many papers you were unable to see the oak beneath. Upon seeing me he smiled a tired smile that did not quiet reach his eyes.

"You needed to speak to me?"

"Yes," He sighed shuffling the papers, he found a smaller card and held it up, "The Queen has invited us to the royal palace for a party this evening. Something about Whistledown and the seasons Diamond."

I nodded solemnly knowing there was no chance of refusing the Queen's invitation. After dinner I readied myself with Ginny's assistance into a dress unworn from last season. My hand glided down the rose red fabric Josephine had chosen, inspecting the small embroidered shapes along the hem.

"Would you like your pearls tonight, Miss? Or perhaps the rubies to complete your dress?" Ginny asked eyeing the jewelry box.

"The rubies will do nicely, thank you Ginny."