harry's birthday - part one

Word count: 24,100

_________________

"Hazel..." Mia murmured, a frown etched between her brows as she scratched her jaw softly, "this doesn't seem right."

Hazel rushed through the apartment before groaning, "I told you, that's the recipe. It's my grandma's and it's real good."

"And those measurements are correct?" Mia checked again before swallowing, her eyes zeroing in on the numbers, "Because that's a lot of butter."

"This pie got my granddad to propose to her, the more butter the better! That's what she used to say." Hazel replied, "Mia, I promise it's gonna be good."

Mia nibbled het lip as she carefully read over the recipe again. She had done so a dozen times, wanting to make sure her dyslexia wasn't fooling her. It was Harry's birthday tomorrow and tonight, him and Mia were going out to dinner.

And she wanted to make a dessert. Her cheeks flamed at knowledge that she very much planned on also being his dessert, but she also wanted to make something. Mia was quite an alright cook, but she wasn't the best baker. The few times she had tried to bake, it turned out horrible.

But tonight, she was trying. And then Hazel said she had this insanely good recipe from her grandma. So here Mia was, in the kitchen, wearing an apron and having a lot of issues in believing this could turn out okay.

The story of Hazel's grandparents was heartwarming, and Mia's eyes darted to the ring Harry had gifted her on Christmas. It was by the sink as she took it off to start baking.

Hazel was quickly zipping up her second boot and Mia tilted her head to the side, "Are you leaving?"

"Yeah," Hazel breathed, "told you I have that date with this Taylor-girl."

Mia put the recipe down and frowned deeper, "You mean that girl you met on Tinder and that you've never talked to on the phone or facetimed with?"

Hazel swallowed and shrugged, "Yes. Do I look cute?"

Mia glanced her over, seeing the flared light blue jeans and the black jumper Hazel wore. She had put effort into her hair and swapped her glasses for contacts. She rolled her lips together to spread her pink chapstick, waiting for Mia's approval.

Mia sighed and nodded, "Yes, you look very pretty. But... I mean, is this safe? You sort of don't know who this person is."

"Mia." Hazel chuckled, "It's going to be just fine."

Mia leaned her hip against the countertop and crossed her arms, "But how do you know that? It might as well be like... a fifty year old man. It could be dangerous."

"We're meeting in a public place."

"I just..." Mia nibbled her lip, "I don't know, it sounds dangerous."

Hazel softly rolled her eyes and Mia frowned, "I just don't trust this."

"Mia," Hazel whined, opening up the closet in the hallway to pick out a scarf – one she borrowed from Mia apparently – "I really like this girl. We've been talking for weeks."

"And she's from around?"

"Yeah, she's a student too. She's like... two years older than us. Look, it's going to be just fine, Mia. I'll be fine." Hazel tried to reassure her.

Mia exhaled a defeated sigh, knowing she couldn't persuade Hazel in finding out a little more about this Taylor before arranging a meeting with her. She nibbled her lip in thought again, "Okay. But can you share your location?"