A Little Peace

Stitem, the once piece of barren land turned into a lushful paradise, is used to hide and protect those who are seen as different or outcasts by the world around them. It took months to make the land fertile and alive again. Many moved here, fearing the danger of the outside world. One of them, in particular, was Atlas and his family. After the birth of their first daughter and the greedy intentions of her grandfather, the family hid away.

Asking their friends Tony and Tom for a place to hide and raise their daughter away from harm, they set out to Stitem, the place rumored to be a safe haven for people like them. Mothers took turns watching the children, and fathers often worked in the fields or carpentry to help supply people with food and homes. It was no easy feat starting from scratch, but the refugees of Stitem managed.

Most of the children in Stitem were friends, but a select group of children was Stitem's troublemakers whom the refugees had to watch out for.

"Ready, Ein!?"

"Ready, Charles!" The two boys opened a pen full of chickens to start their distraction.

"Ein come on, we won't have much time!" Jennette grabbed her brother Ein's hand, trying to get out of sight as the town flooded with feathers. People quickly scrambled to gather up the feathery accomplices before they got too far. Jennette took this opportunity and motioned for Charles to sneak into the candy shop.

"Grab everything you can carry!" Nicolette sat back and watched the action, wanting to avoid getting involved.

"Ein," she called him over, and the two snuck out together through the floor of chickens and panicking citizens.

"Where did they go?" Charles looked around the store, trying to catch a glimpse of Ein or Nicolette.

"They probably left together knowing those two. He totally has a crush on her," Jennette said with a hint of annoyance. Nicolette and Ein made it to their usual hang-out on the river bank.

"You know you don't have to participate if you don't want to," Ein told Nicolette.

"Yeah, I know, but I feel like Jennette will scold me if I don't do at least a bit. She's quite scary."

"My sister can scare just about anybody."

"So that means you're afraid of her," Nicolette teased.

"I am not! S-she never scared me, not even once!"

"Uh-huh, sure," she smiled as he crossed his arms.

"Nothing scares me. My mom says I'm going to grow up to be the strongest and bravest man ever!"

"If you get past the little boy stage," he shot her a glare that made her laugh.

"I will get past that stage, and when I get past that stage, you'll be mine" Nicolette blushed, startled by his sudden confession. She thought he was joking, but he was serious, not even looking away once.

"Ok," she smiled, "when we grow up, I'll marry you and be yours" She kissed him on the cheek. Ein blushed, touching his cheek.

"Nicolette, let's go!" Atlas called for her. Nicolette smiled at Ein and went to her father, leaving Ein to feel his embarrassment build up slowly.

"She's so pretty," he sighed, looking longingly at the flowers "My pretty little flower." Nicolette ran into her father's arms with a smile on her face.

"You weren't kissing any boys, were you?" Atlas asked, ready to murder anyone and everyone.

"No, Dad, I didn't kiss anyone! Maybe" Atlas didn't like the answer. It was vague.