One More Dream

Atlas could already sense the danger that was brewing on the island. The Arcana Eaters were becoming aware of their situation, and things were becoming risky. "Thomas, they are getting restless. Once night falls, we'll all be killed!"

"I'm working on it!" Thomas had almost finished mapping their route. His panic rose as the sun slowly started to set over the hill.

"Thomas!" Atlas could already see them. The rustling of the leaves as they approached. Atlas went into his things, taking out a hwando that had been passed down in Nora's family for generations since the Joseon Era. He cut the palm of his hand with the blade allowing the mana within his blood to fuse with the blade. Atlas waits for the creatures to approach and levels out his breathing.

The first Arcana Eater he sees the dashes towards and, using the mana-infused blade, severs its head. The handle of the hwando felt light yet firm in his hands. He tightened his grasp on the handle and continued to fend off the Arcana Eaters. Each blade movement was swift yet steady able to easily cut through their demonic flesh. Atlas was careful to not let their blood enter any cuts he'd previously had.

Atlas couldn't afford to falter, or the children would be at risk. One of the Arcana Eaters rushed at him, their sharp-toothed mouth open and ready to clamp down on his flesh. Atlas tried to pull back in time, worrying he didn't do it fast enough. Just as the demon was about to clamp its jaw down on his wrist, Thomas showed up and grabbed the top and bottom of its jaw, tearing it apart and rendering the demon useless.

"Don't let your guard down, Atlas! You know how these creatures are!" Thomas was right. He'd gotten so in the zone fighting the ones in front of him he'd completely ignored the ones around him. Atlas clenched his jaw, annoyed at how he'd almost gotten bitten, and again took a fighting stance. He wasn't going to allow that to happen again.

Richard and Niko helped board the other kids onto the boats, keeping them out of reach of the demons. One of the demons manages to grab onto Niko's foot and pull him toward its mouth. "Ah! Dad, help me!" Niko fights back, slowly losing his strength. Thomas noticing his son was in danger, immediately ran to help, grabbing the demon and pulling it away as it clawed at him. Niko having enough time to escape, thanks to his father, ran to the boats.

Thomas continued to struggle against the demon and pinned it down before taking out a coach gun and shooting it in the head. Thomas was breathing heavily, shaken up at the thought of almost losing his son. Making sure it was dead, Thomas kicked its body to the side. More demons lunged at Thomas and Atlas as they fought their way through, keeping them at bay and buying everyone else time to escape. The two stood back to back, supporting each other in the fight.

Despite their hatred for each other, they had to put it aside and work together, if not for themselves, then for their families. Thomas continued to scope and fire with the coach gun, aiming for the demon's heads and successfully killing each one the bullets hit. Atlas continued to lay killing blows with his mana-infused sword. The demons drew back for the time being, but it wouldn't be long before more reinforcements appeared.

Atlas hurriedly ran to the water and lightly touched the surface as he allowed his eyes to glow blue and large ripples could be seen forming on the water's surface. The ripples turn into waves that get bigger and bigger, pushing the boats further out into the ocean. Atlas starts to chant in tongues under his breath, pushing his mana to its limits. As the demons returned, Atlas used the last of his mana to create one large final wave bigger than half the island.

Guiding the water, he manages to crash the wave like a tsunami and wipe out most of the demons headed their way. Atlas watches the remaining Arcana Eaters, who seem to be scoping out whether attacking was worth it or not. Atlas and Thomas stand their ground, weapons out and ready. They were finally getting a good look at the rotting demons. Atlas felt his skin crawl as he stared into their demonic eyes taking on their decaying form.