Their History

~flashback~

William's father nudges him forward towards one of the cells. "Come on, William, be a man and decide what to do with him. You make the call, and it'll be done." William stood there staring at the slowly starving man in the cell. He was nothing but skin and bones, and made William feel off. The mold on the stone walls and the cracks along the floor threw him off. He had to force himself to block out the smell of rot and mildew.

"F-Father, i really don't want to do this-"

"WILLIAM!" his father shouts, making him flinch. "You must not be afraid to make these decisions. One wrong move and you could make a fool of yourself and the last thing we need is another useless heir. Remember what happened to your older brother?" William gulped and looked up at the guards that towered over him. He takes a deep breath, feeling sick to his stomach.

"B-Behead him... but make it as quick as possible." He says, avoiding looking at the man in the cell or his father. His father nods as the guards look to him for confirmation. William watches as the guards enter the cell, removing the man's chains and lifting and carrying him out of the cell by his arms. William tries not to move as he feels his skin crawl and looks towards his father, who remains unconcerned and has no expression.

William looks back at the guards and watches them carry the man up the stairs not caring as the man groans in pain every time his legs hit the corners of the stairs. William winces each time he sees the legs hit the corners. He could only imagine the pain. "You made the right choice, William, but you are showing him Mercy by making it quick and painless."

"I-I don't know what he did, so I decided to make it quick," he lies, hoping his father will buy it. His father scowls, catching on to his son's lie. He gets down to William's level, looking him in the eyes.

"I really don't want to have to replace you, William. So far, you are the only son of mine to make it this far, and you'll be the son I hope will bring glory back to this family." William holds back tears, biting his lower lip.

"I-I won't let you down, father," William says, trying to maintain eye contact with his father. His father pats him on the back and heads back up the stairs, leaving William in the cellar. Hot tears burn William's eyes as he starts to cry. "I don't want to be replaced... like my older brother." He quickly wipes away his tears with the cusp of his sleeve. "I refuse to be replaced! I'll show father I can be the son he always hoped for." William hurriedly chases after his father, catching up and walking alongside him.

"I expect great things from you, William, and I have some news for you."

"What is it, father?" He asks curiously, masking the tears he had shed earlier.

"We've picked the perfect future wife for you, and you'll be introduced later this week." William is caught off guard by the revelation.

"But I thought marriage was to those we love and care for."

"William, marriage is nothing more than a formality, and there is no love within this world. Your marriage is to help your family and bring the two together, nothing more." William couldn't object and instead kept his protests to himself.

~later that week~

William's butler stands nearby as he puts on his clothing. William checks himself out in the mirror, deciding to wear an outfit he had begged his mother to buy him months before her death. He chose a vest and tuft collar that had been made back in the time of the Renaissance and kept preserved and safe for a boy of his age, and he put on tight-fitted pants that matched the black vest. "What do you think butler? I always wanted to wear one of these."

"You look dashing, Young Master," the Butler says indifferently.

"Do you think she'll like me, Butler? Will she like the same things as me? Will she be pretty?" William says excitedly, checking over his outfit once more.