The First Steps

"I wasn't able to hold the room together long enough" William sat in his study, frustrated by the loss. "Her abilities are awakening. She's actively searching for answers, and I must slowly guide her down the right path."

"The right path is making sure her abilities don't implode and kill everyone in a split second," Darren said, cleaning his lab materials.

"Yes, I understand that, but she's been hidden away somewhere hard to get to"

"And where would that be?"

"Stitem"

"The sanctuary of Myenna?" Darren had only heard of that place several times, and it always piqued his interest.

"That's what they're calling it? What makes them think their little belief in a higher power can protect them from the real world" William scoffed.

"Faith drives a lot of people. Take Christianity, for example. We all know how seriously people take that religion."

"Their little beliefs are not getting in my way. Nothing had gotten in my way before except when that idiot son of mine decided to escape. How long until you're done with the serum?"

"It's a work in progress, William. It won't be ready for a few years."

"I don't have that kind of time. Find a way to speed it up!" Darren rolled his eyes.

"If I could speed it up, I would have already science and patience coincide, William!" William wanted to put his plans into action as soon as possible, but more than his own power would be needed.

"That girl is exactly what we need" Darren knew what William wanted her for, and he pitied her.

"You're going to turn her into a monster. She's just a child, William."

"I don't care if she's just a child. She's a bringer of death. She could wipe out entire nations with the snap of her fingers when she fully unlocks her abilities. Why anyone would let such an ability go to waste is beyond me, but I will make her unlock her full potential, and I'll take over Stitem. I'll take over each nation one at a time, making them tremble at my name and use her to coerce them."

"And if she refuses?" Darren asked

"Oh, she won't be able to refuse. I'll make sure of that. I don't care how many people she has to kill; I will have the control and the power I want rightfully within my grasp, and once I do, I'll show those two exactly what true power looks like" Nobody knew about William's history just that he hated two people with a passion. He spoke about them with such hatred and dismay people think that those words could become a reality.

Darren focused on the serum he was creating, but his mind was all over the place. He knew who Nicolette was and who her family was. After all, he and her mother had a history only Atlas knew about. Darren didn't want any harm to come to Nora's family, but he couldn't fight off William's grasp on him either.

~Flashback~

"Darren, you need to chin up. It's not that bad being in second place," Nora tried to comfort him. Darren had always come second to his brother in every situation, always behind in some way.

"It's not that easy. Nora, my father, won't even look at me."

"Why do you need his validation so much? Why do you always have to prove yourself despite doing so well for yourself" he faced Nora looking at the baby in her arms.

"It's not as simple as you may think," she sighed.

"You can't keep being hard on yourself, Darren. You're good enough, and your father is just focused on other things. So stop trying to beat your brother. Stop trying to push yourself to have your father's attention. You have me" She placed her hand on his cheek. "Besides, I know how good you are with chemistry, poisons, and potions. You outrank your brother in that regard."