On Your Own

"If you really wish to continue with this, I can't stop you, but I think it's more of a death sentence," Carlile says.

"If you get a glimpse of my fate, can you please contact me? I want to know if I have a chance at winning this thing." Ein holds out a slip of paper with his number on it. Carlile sighs and takes the slip of paper in his hand.

"I think before you go and decide to take William head-on, you need to learn the extent of your abilities. It's clear that you can control life forms such as plants, but that's as far as you've gotten." Ein never tested his abilities on anything other than plants cause he was too afraid of causing damage.

"Do you know what else I could possibly do?" Ein asks, hopeful that Carlile may have some answers.

"No, I don't, but if you harness them properly, I think you can twist your powers to do things outside of control. You and Nicolette are two extraordinary beings compared to the rest of us, and your powers are unknown as those who have experienced them to the fullest extent always died before they got to fully write about them."

"I have one more question."

"Let me guess, you want to know just how dangerous Nyx is?" Ein's mouth shuts immediately, caught off guard by Carlile guessing his next question correctly.

"Uh.. y-yeah." He manages to say.

"Nyx on her own is not dangerous. A bit cocky, yes, but dangerous, no. She is only dangerous when placed into the wrong hands, and in this case, it's William's hands, so yeah, you might be fucked." Niko leaves the two to their conversation, exiting the floating house. He takes the cobblestone path back down to ground level.

"I can't help you any further, little brother." He says quietly. He takes one last look at the floating house before leaving the town and going back through the barrier.

Ein looks around the house for his brother. "Niko? Niko!? Where did you go, you ass!" 'Did he really just leave?' He thinks to himself. Ein didn't know his way around Paris, and Carlile wasn't going to help him. He takes a deep breath, trying to calm himself. "We've got this. Nothing to be worried about."

"I'll have another chauffeur meet you outside, but before you go." Carlile enters another room and comes back out, holding a satchel.

"What's that?" Ein asks as Carlile puts the strap of the satchel over his head.

"It holds a few different potions, each with its own unique effect. I also left a few notes of places you could go to to learn more about yourself and Nicolette." Ein doesn't know whether to be worried or thank him.

"Are you sure I need this?"

"You may not use it, but it's there in case you need it, and that's better than not having anything at all." Ein nods, understanding Carlile's good intentions.

"Thank you, Carlile." Ein takes one last look at Carlile before exiting the house.

"Don't thank me... I couldn't tell you everything you needed to know." Carlile says under his breath as he looks at a glowing white jar on his workbench. "I couldn't tell you your fate 'cause you wouldn't be able to handle it." He picks up the jar and stores it away in a cabinet under his workbench. "Push forward, Ein... the ending may not be what you want, but the results are worth all the pain you'll go through."

Ein makes his way through the town, exploring it a bit further, fascinated by everything he encounters. "I always thought science was a bit lame, but this gives me a whole new opinion." He says with a smile. He opens the satchel and takes out one of the notes that reads, "There is someone in Tepito who can help you understand yourself a little better. His name is Jason Voye, an old friend of your mom."