The Sudden Realization

Atlas scoped out the damage done to the sanctuary and had little to no hope of repairing it. The sanctuary protected them from so much more than people like his father. If those monsters saw the residents in such a vulnerable state, they wouldn't hesitate to strike and devour their cores. Cores were are essential to a being with magic as it is basically their life force, and these monsters devoured them for power.

Atlas knew they had limited time to get everyone to safety, and now that his daughter was gone, things weren't looking good. Thomas started counting each corpse writing down the number of those they lost in this attack. Luckily the children were mainly lightly injured. Atlas got each child back on their feet, caring for their injuries. They had to leave now or rebuild the sanctuary before the Arcana Eaters found them vulnerable.

"Dad," Zayne tried to help his dad care for the injured but didn't have much experience.

"What's up, Zayne?"

"Are those monsters going to get us?" Atlas could sense the fear in his son's voice and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"I will never allow those monsters to lay a hand on you. You will be safe as long as I am around, you hear?" Zayne nodded, feeling a bit better now that he knew his father would protect him. Atlas wanted to believe his own words, but if he could hardly keep Nicolette away from William, how would he protect his remaining children from becoming food for those creatures? A pit of frustration and worry built up in Atlas's chest.

He wasn't feeling confident in his ability to protect anyone. He helped load children and wounded adults onto boats hoping to find a new place to build the sanctuary. The only time they are protected is within these boats since the demons absolutely hate water. It seemed to drain their strength, therefore, making them weak enough to kill.

Thomas was busy studying one of the maps deciding the best place to set up camp until they could rebuild the sanctuary and its protective barrier.

"Should we put a father repellent?" Thomas jabs at Atlas.

"If a father repellent existed, I'd include you in that list," Atlas responds through gritted teeth. Thomas rolls his eyes and continues to chart a path that would get them to the next area fastest and safest. "Thomas, we should think about heading out tonight."

"I'm working on that. We have to be aware of the weather Atlas. We can't just set sail without knowing what we'll be dragging everyone else into." Atlas hated to admit that Thomas had a point. It could be suicide going out to sea with no knowledge of the potential weather they could experience.

"Well, how long do you think it'll take you to fully read the weather patterns and chart out a plan?"

"Seeing as I'm currently being interrupted by you, it might take longer than normal." Atlas's eyelid twitched as he tried to compose himself. The urge to punch Thomas grew with every word he said, but he had to remain calm and ready. He couldn't set a bad example for Zayne and Alice.

"Well then, I'll leave you to it" god, Thomas was looking so punchable at the moment.

"Dad," Zayne sat on one of the boats tied to the docks.

"What is it, bud?" Atlas waded in the water next to the boat.

"Why do we have to stay on the boats?" Atlas thought about how to answer his son's question before responding.

"So nothing will happen to you, and the monsters don't like water, so you'll be super safe here."

"Really?" He could sense the worry in Zayne's voice.

"Yes, really." He tries to reassure him that nothing bad will happen. "You have nothing to worry about. Daddy is here, ok?" Zayne smiled, feeling reassured.