As the petals rot

(blood warning)

Mario coughed into his arm a few times before he went back to what he was doing, he was helping David work in the garden and was now walking to the guild hall, he had been dusted by pollen well working by a plant they didn't recognize, David had cut the flower off with a spade before it could shoot more pollen at the dragon slayer, making sure Mario was okay afterwards, the devil slayer watched Mario for the rest of the time, seeming worried about the unknown flower, Mario had felt fine at first, but now he felt like shit, his lungs itched and his throat felt sore, plus he had been coughing non-stop, he figured it was an allergic reaction, Mario pushed the door to the guildhall and walked inside, Brandon and Ritchie stood on the stage talking, Ritchie noticed and waved at Mario "hey, how are you guys?" the dragon slayer asked, walking over to the twins, Ritchie gave him a smile "hey Mario, we're doing fine, you done helping David in his garden?" he asked the raven haired boy, Mario coughed into his arm before answering "yeah we got the poppy's planted and weeded the garden" he responded, Ritchie nodded, Brandon scowled "are you alright?" he asked, eyebrows furrowed, Mario raised an eyebrow before asking "what do you mean?" Brandon glanced at his twin before looking back to the dragon slayer "you were coughing, before coming inside too, I heard you cough, and you have a weird scent on you" he stated, Mario was surprised he had said so much, Ritchie was now looking at Mario with a worried glint in his eyes "now that you mention it, he does have a weird scent on him" Mario shrugged "maybe it's the pollen?" he offered, the Diablo twins glanced at each other before seeming to accept the answer.

It had been a week sense Mario had been dusted by the pollen and his condition had worsened, itch in his throat and lungs had begun to burn like poison ivy rash and his cough had gotten worse and sounded wet as though he had gotten sick with pneumonia, Kit and Lara had checked him over but he didn't have a fever or cold so the girls had no solution, Mario was working on cleaning his room when he went into another coughing fit, coughing into his arm, wheezing in between coughs to try to catch his breath, it took a couple seconds to recover from the coughing fit, sitting down on his bed so he wouldn't fall, Mario glanced down at his sleeve, it was soaked in blood, he froze, his breath hitching, the dragon slayer pulled off his jacket, staring at the blood covered sleeve, he swallowed down the metallic taste in his mouth, walking to his wardrobe dropping the jacket into his  laundry shoot as he walked, grabbing a spare from his closet, too deep in shock to process what had just happened, Mario pulled on a dark green jacket, one that was similar to his other one, Mario walked back his bed, sitting down, trying to process what had happened and what could have caused it, he hadn't gone on any missions and hadn't been training much, so nothing could have caused internal damage, Mario pressed his lips together in thought, could he have been poisoned? he would need to talk to Devin, hes the most likely to know about what kind of poison if he had been.

Mario had avoided talking to Devin for three days before he finally approached the imagination mage, it had taken another coughing fit ending in blood splatter to convince him to talk to the brunette, Mario was stood on Devin's porch, shifting in place, trying to convince himself to knock, just as he turned around to leave the door opened "Mario?" he heard a tired voice ask from behind him, the earth dragon winced, turning back around, Devin was stood in the doorway, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, he had a concerned look on his face, considering it was three AM the ravenette didn't blame him for being worried, Mario took a deep breath before speaking "Devin I need to talk to you" he said quietly, his voice hoarse from constant coughing, Devin's eyes narrowed, sleep disappearing from his face in a moment, the brunette side stepping so Mario could come in, Mario quickly walked in, allowing Devin to close the door behind him "Mario whats going on?" Devin asked worriedly, Mario took a breath sighing "I think I've been poisoned" Mario says quickly, feeling embarrassed about needing to ask for help, Devin's eyes widened, shock and worry filling them, he had to take a deep breath before he could speak "whats your symptoms?" he asked, walking to his bookshelves, grabbing a book off as he spoke, Mario messed with the hem of his sweater, a dark grey turtle neck he put on after the green jacket got blood on it "I've uh... my throat and lungs burn and I've been coughing up blood" he says quietly, Devin pauses, resisting the urge to fuss over his friend, he takes another breath before he starts looking through the book, skipping to the symptoms the taller man described, he spent the next couple minutes asking questions about other possible symptoms, nothing matched exactly whats been happening to the earth dragon slayer, Devin looked up at the ravenette who was beginning to look pale, his eyes going unfocused, he began to lean as though he were about to fall, Devin dropped his book, rushing to his friend, grabbing his arm and putting it over his shoulders, pulling him to the couch to sit down, once the ravenette was sitting he started looking better, the imagination mage felt a moment of relief before it was replaced by fear as Mario went into a coughing fit, burying his face in his palms, a nasty rasping cough leaving him, desperate wheezing punctuating his coughs, Devin gently rubbed his friends back, not knowing what else to do, it was a few moments of coughing before it ended, Mario sighing and leaning back, he was pale and there was blood coating his hands, a small petal falling out of them as he dropped his hands into his lap, Devin stared at it, processing the new symptom, the brunette swallowed down his worry, standing and walking to the kitchen, grabbing a cup and filling it with water before bringing it back to Mario, he gently tapped his friend on the knee, the dragon slayer opened his eyes slowly, a tired and dull look glazing over them, he sat forward, hissing in pain as he did, Devin carefully set the glass in his hand, keeping his own hands hovering under the taller mans hands in case he dropped his glass, Mario drank the water quickly, sighing in relief, color starting to return to his face, Devin took the now empty glass back, setting it down on the coffee table "Mario, I think I might have a clue on what you have".

(muhahaha! a cliff hanger! I hope you guys liked the story! Please leave a comment, I love hearing from you guys! please have a great day/night!)