As the petals rot (Part two)

(continued directly from where I left off)

Devin took the now empty glass back, setting it down on the coffee table "Mario, I think I might have a clue on what you have" Mario closed his eyes, running a hand through his hair, luckily the blood on his palms had dried quickly so it didn't stain his hair, before resting the right side of his face in his palm, cracking his left eye open to look at his friend, Devin sighed, using his magic to form a book, allowing it to drop into his hand "this is Edens area of expertise but I think I remember what this is" he said, tapping on the shell of the book as he flips through it, this book was different, It wasn't one of poisons like the previous one this was volume eight of the book of diseases covering all H named diseases that the writer knew, It was a couple moments of flipping through the book to reach the symptoms Mario has, coughing up blood, energy draining coughing fits, burning throat and lungs and now the petals, there were a few that seemed similar to his symptoms but only one that matches his symptoms exactly, Devin had to swallow down his panic as he showed the page to the dragon slayer, it spanned across the two pages with multiple sketches of flowers on it, they look like snap dragons but with a thicker stem and a cone shaped stamens sticking out of the body of the flower, the flowers were described as a glowing blueish flower that looked toxic "do you recognize these?" Devin asked Mario, the ravenette sat up, a confused look on his face, having to think about it for a second before remembering "yes, there were some growing in Davids garden, it sprayed us with some kind of pollen before we got rid of it" he said, looking over the page, Devin turned the book back towards himself, reading through it "it makes sense why David hasn't been showing symptoms then, these target dragons to spread their seeds and pollen, it would get stuck on their scales but if they inhaled it would make them vulnerable to pneumonia till they coughed it out but..." he paused, his eyebrows furrowing "dragon slayers can't spread it due to having no scales so they aim for the face, forcing the slayer to breath it in, growing in their lungs till they... pass... then using the body for fertilizer" Devin explains as he reads, his fingers twitching in worry, he could see the way Mario tensed as he read, the brunette glanced at his friend, Mario was pale, subconsciously scratching at his chest, Devin set the book in his lap, gently grabbing his friends wrists, the dragon slayers eyes focused on him, his pupils narrowed to slits, it took a couple seconds for them to go back to normal "you okay now?" Devin asked softly, Mario nodded, the brunette slowly let go of his guildmates wrists, he set his hands in his lap, fidgeting with the hem of his shirt, his ears drooping, Devin sighed before picking the book back up, reading through the page, thinking out loud as he did "I would think that they'd gone instinct by now, having no dragons to spread the seeds and all" he said, tapping his fingers nervously "its called Serpents Hogweed but most people call it hanahaki translating in Lemurian to the dragons rose or the strangling vine" he explains, glaring at the page, annoyed that this page explains nothing of a cure, flipping to the next one, a continuation of the first page, Devin paused before looking back to his friend "did David by any chance save those flowers?" he asked nervously, Mario hesitated before answering "no, he threw them in the composter when we were working in the garden" he explains, tapping the back of his hand a few times in thought before speaking again "a few weeks ago" he said, nervously glancing back to his friend, Devin scowled, the only cure the book spoke of was made from a fresh hanahaki flower, he would have to dig through the ruins of the first Grimshade guildhall to see if any books survived, there were hundreds of books when it was still standing, if any of them survived it would be the books on diseases due to how heavy duty the covers were, Devin sighed, running his hands down his face "I'm moving you into my house so I can keep a closer eye on you" he says in a stern voice, leaving no room for argument, though Mario still tried "what? Devin I can't just move in with you, I'd take up space you don't have and the others would notice me coming in and out of your house" Mario points out to him, crossing his arms, his green eyes were nearly back to normal, but were still a bit fuzzy, Devin sighs "and? so what if the others notice? I'll kick their shins" he huffs, luckily making Mario crack a smile, Devin continues "and my attic is completely empty, we can set up a temporary room in there" he explains calmly, Mario trys to protest again but Devin cuts him off "I want to do this for you" Devin says in a soft tone, putting his hand on the brunettes shoulder, Mario hesitates, pressing his lips together in thought, after a moment he nods his head in agreement "alright... okay.. I'll move in for now" Mario says hesitantly, Devin smiles at him "thank you, and don't worry, I'll keep researching this, we'll figure it out.." he tells the ravenette in a gentle tone, Mario gives him a smile, but it seems forced.. he looks worried and stressed, Devin sighs, this is gonna be a long and bumpy ride...

(heyyyy, sorry this was short and sorry that I've been gone for so long, I've been doing a lot and had writers block for a long while, I'm trying to get back into writing but there will probably be days I update multiple stories and other days I don't update at all, I'll try to get back into updating often but I might not be able to. I missed y'all lots, I love y'all and hope you all enjoyed the story, I hope you all have a great day/night, love you all!)