A childhood promise

Viper was stood in his bedroom refilling his oil lamp, it was a normal lamp but it was in a strange place, he had it hung from a rope in front of his bedroom window, the bluenette almost never let it burn out, it never went more then a few minutes before he had refilled it and lit it again, it was a simple lamp, damaged by time, Viper was refilling it before the guild left, they were going to stay on the island of Divinus Magia for a few days so Allumos and the Diablo twins could discuss trading items related to their mages, an example is Davids ice crystals, enchanted to never melt, or Vipers venom, a liquid that could only come for the bluenettes fangs and wasn't found anywhere else in the world, the dragon slayer in questions thoughts were cut off by someone speaking "why do you always have that lit?" a curious voice asks, Viper jumped, almost spilling the oil, he set down the jar on his desk before turning to see who had spoken, Colin was standing there nervously, having assumed that Viper would be angry but was surprised that that poison dragon was completely calm "sorry" the ginger apologized "I'm just curious, I've never seen it unlit" he explains, Viper hums in response, going back to filling the oil lamp, why does he keep it filled? the answer is a memory so old and fuzzy he wasn't even sure if the memory was real at this point, Viper sighed before speaking "Its... its a promise I made" he explains, his voice mournful for a memory he can no longer properly recall, the bluenette carefully lit the lamp before closing it, making sure it would burn till he returned home, he closed the jar of oil, leaving it on the desk before turning to Colin, grabbing his satchel off his bed as he walked to him "come on runt, Allumos is waiting for us" he said, grabbing the taller mans arm, pulling him out of his room.

Mitch was sat by the woods, reading a book, he had been waiting for an half an hour for his friend to join him, there were quick footsteps then heavy panting "sorry I'm late!" a soft voice called out, Mitch looked up, smiling at his best friend _____ before standing, tucking his book into his bag "its fine, you wanted to talk to me?" the bluenette asked, walking over to his friend, _____'s face fell, a sad look covering his face, he fiddles with his sleeves "I needed to tell you that... I'm leaving the village in a few weeks" he says, his voice barely above a whisper, Mitch's face also fell, anxiety setting into his gut, _____ was his only friend and he was leaving? What was going to happen to him, he would be all alone... _____ quickly started reassuring him "its only for a few years, plus I'll come visit soon!" he says, grabbing his bond brothers hand to reassure him, Mitch pulled him into a hug "but what if you don't come home?" Mitch asks, burying his face into _____'s sweater, _____ paused, thinking before answering "what about lanterns? we could have a lantern in our window that is always lit, during day and night, so if we see it we'll known its each other and not someone else" he offers, the bluenette leans back from the hug, his eyes lighting up at the idea, the sparkly blue and red eyes shining in excitement "that's brilliant _____!" the bluenette says "we can get them from Mr. ___, he makes all kind of things, hes bound to have some" he says excitedly, bouncing in place, he grabs _____'s hand, dragging him into the village to go to the kind elderly man, Mr. ___'s shop to find, hopefully, matching lanterns.

Viper was woken up as the ship docked, Allumos was paying the captain for bringing them to the island, the poison dragon slayer stretched, walking off the ship with his guild, recalling his dream as he went, Viper rarely dreams but telling Colin about the promise probably forced the memory up, their face was blurred, his friends voice distorted beyond recognition, hell, his own voice was so young and energetic he barely recognized it, and his name, the name was on the tip of his tongue but it hurt his head to try to remember it, guilt settled in his gut over that, the dream made him remember how the lanterns looked, Mr... Mr? the shop keeper had made them just for the boys, matching with little metal butterflies on the painted with homemade paints for flowers and berries the boys had helped him collect, they had been beautiful, Vipers lantern was old and rusted, bent and broken in places, some of the little butterflies were broken, the lantern had been crushed by the rubble of his house, he had taken it to the wandering coins leader, Reaper fixing it in return of the dragon slayer joining the guild, after Reaper died he went to Grimshade, Micheal helping him fix the broken glass that had been shattered, it had surprisingly survived this long, still hung in his bedroom window, he wonder if...?  ...  if he would recognize the lantern in its broken state, did he even still remember the promise? it was hurting his head, Viper sighed, shaking his head, glancing up at the houses they were walking past, his eyes catching on a window in one of the houses, he couldn't see the lantern from the ground due to the light of the fire reflecting off the windows glass, Viper made a mental note to watch the lantern to see if it was put out during the day, he doesn't know why hope spiked in his chest, he knows it won't be... that it won't be him, it never is... but still, a small fire of hope flickered inside of the dragons chest, a small hope that his best friend would be here.

(I loved writing this so much!! as always please leave a comment cause I love hearing from you all! I hope you all have a great day/night!)