A childhood promise (Part two)

Viper was sat in another boring meeting, they had been having meetings all week, discussing trades nonstop, it was annoying and tiresome, Allumos, Ritchie and Brandon had set up trading based on equal items, David's ice crystals and Colin's shadow gemstones are on the same level, for example, the discussions are long and annoying and had been keeping Vipers mind busy, but that didn't distract him from the lantern, he never got a good look at it but it glowed day and night, never being allowed to burn out, whenever Viper saw it, it made his gut twist with anxiety and anticipation, he knew he wouldn't be leaving this island without talking with whoever lived in that house.

It had been three more days of procrastination and failed attempts to talk to the houses owner before Viper finally walked up to the house, he had been trying to sleep but his mind was so plagued with thoughts he couldn't sleep. Viper sighs sitting up from his cot and walking to the downstairs of the guest house the Grimshade members that had come had been staying in for the couple days they had been here, he wasn't able to sleep so he decided to take a walk to clear his mind. the bluenette quickly slipped his boots on and exited the house, his footsteps echoing throughout the empty streets. as he walked his mind was plagued with constant thoughts of his past, blurred names and faces he couldn't remember swirling through his mind. his steps paused as he realized where he was, his subconscious had led him to the house with the lantern in the window. Viper swallowed nervously, his anxiety spiking as he looked at the house, the lantern was burning just as bright as it had been. Viper slowly approached the house, his footsteps seemed louder now, taunting almost. Viper slowly raised his hand to knock, his mind was racing with doubts, what if this wasn't him? what if he made a fool of himself? he couldn't even remember his name, what if he doubted he was telling the truth cause he couldn't remember? Viper took a deep breath, reassuring himself, quickly wrapping his knuckles on the door, resisting the urge to bolt away like he did the first time he approached the house, Viper stood there, fidgeting with the hem of his jackets sleeve, listening to footsteps approach the door, the door unlocked and swung open, Viper paused his fidgeting, staring in surprise at who stood in the doorway, Lucas stood in the doorway, wiping the sleep out of his eyes, he was obviously surprised to see the poison dragon slayer standing on his porch "Viper? why are you here so late?" he asked, Vipers elf like ears droop nervously, he clears his throat before speaking "I'm sorry, I just..." his sentence trails off, Lucas has a look of concern, he had only heard Viper apologize once and it was so passive aggressive you could hear the sarcasm practically dripping from his voice, so seeing the bluenette on his porch at midnight, looking so uncomfortable and apologizing was... unnerving for Lucas to say the least, the brunette waits, not wanting to interrupt the shorter mans train of thought, Viper sighs, his shoulders slumping "I'm gonna be blunt, I wanted to ask about your lantern" he says, a quiet hint of sadness in his voice, Lucas froze, processing the question "oh, my lantern, it isn't bothering you, right?" Lucas asked hesitantly, his eyes scanning over Viper's face to see his reaction. Viper sighs, running his hand through his hair "no, its not that.. I just have a couple questions" Viper tells him, reaching up to adjust his blindfold, the normally comforting fabric was starting to get overwhelming, making him feel trapped. "uh.. when you were younger did you know someone named.. Mitch?" Viper asks hesitantly, his name tasting bitter as he spoke it. Lucas froze, his blue eyes widening in disbelief before narrowing at Viper skeptically "I might have.. why?" Lucas asks lowly, doubt creeping into his voice. Viper scratches at his neck, swallowing down his anxiety "uh- well.." the bluenettes voice trailed off, trying to think of a way to explain "t-the lantern, it has like, butterflies on it, right?" he asks hesitantly, internally wincing at the way he stuttered, watching as Lucas' doubt melts into disbelief "and the paint is made from berries and flowers.." Vipers voice trails off, Lucas' silence beginning to unnerve him "Lucas?-" Viper was cut off as Lucas jumped forward, dragging him into a hug, Viper tenses, hesitantly patting the brunette on the back "are you alright?-" Viper asks, being cut off again by Lucas grabbing his shoulders and leaning back as if he was trying to look Viper in the eyes "I thought you were dead! you- I- oh my gods I'm going to start crying-" Lucas says, releasing Viper to rub the tears away from his eyes, Viper swallows nervously, his brain not fully processing the older mans words yet, he was to overwhelmed to really process anything. "are.. is it really you?" Lucas asks hesitantly, having to physically restrain himself from reaching out to touch Vipers face. Viper nods his head, tears picking the corners of his eye sockets, staining his blindfold, the wet fabric making the blindfold feel more constricting than before. Lucas slowly reached out, cupping his bond brothers face in his hands, feeling Viper tense under his touch made his heart ache "you look so different.." Lucas says softly, his voice barely above a whisper. Viper nods his head slightly, biting the inside of his mouth to keep himself from crying. "how about you come in so we can catch up?" Lucas asks softly, Viper takes a deep breath, nodding his head again "a-alright.." Viper agrees quietly.

(I had so much fun writing this even though it took me so long lol, it took me a bit to get my creativity back after such a long break. As always I hope you all enjoyed the story and have a great day/night.)