4

After a somewhat successful first day, I head into the cafeteria for the first time for dinner.

As I walk in, I take note of rows of occupied tables, full of boisterous male laughter echoing throughout the vast room. I grab a tray and start pilling on food from the salad bar.

How they manage to get fresh produce in space is beyond me.

Once I've gathered my food I turn to look for a place to sit.

Many predatory eyes gaze at me and a few men nudge each other's arms, awaiting my next move.

Okay so, not sitting next to them.

In the very back corner I see a very old man sitting at a table by himself hunched over. He seems harmless enough.

I slowly pad over and sit next to him. He looks up confused and I smile and introduce myself.

He politely returns my smile, but doesnt speak.

"What do you do here?" I ask, trying to make conversation.

He responds with a sad shake of his head. Maybe he doesn't talk.

I fill the silence instead, "I just got here. I'm in tactical operations."

He smiles and nods his head. My chest warms with satisfaction from our 'conversation.'

"I'm actually very nervous to be here,'' I admit to him. I feel a sense of security with this man. He seems like a great listener.

He responds with an empathic head nod of understanding. I like him.

I feel a light tuft on the back of my shoulder and I realize someone threw a napkin at me.

I turned to face the attacker and see it was Officer Lux smiling at me.

How could I be mad at that face.

I smile and wave, and he beckons me to come to his table.

I shake my head and point to my new seat partner and he shouts from where he's at

"I wouldn't sit next Mr. Crazy if I were you."

My eyebrows scrunch at his rudeness

I lean over and whisper to him, "I'm gonna go sit next to Lux, only because I want to make a good impression of myself to my coworkers, not because I think you crazy," I flash him a sympathetic smile before standing and walking over to Lux's table

"Hey Bolts," Lux greets

"Bolts?"

"Yeah you work with bolts don't you?" One of the blonde Officers states.

I just stare in confusion. Should I be offended?

"Oh sorry, thats Alec, thats Jaxxon, and that fucker is Stryker."

Lux gets a smack in the head for the from who I am assuming is Stryker, "Hey im the nicest one here."

He has wavy red hair, adorned with sharp symmetrical features. Stryker grabs my hand and plants a gentle kiss to it, "Pleased to make your acquaintance, Bolts," he flashes me a flirty smile.

I give them my actual name, but I don't think they quite care, I have a feeling the nickname Bolts is gonna stick.

Stryker is still holding my hand and I awkwardly pull back and bring it to my lap with a bashful smile.

Jaxxon smacks Stryker on the chest, "Dude really."

Stryker smacks Jaxxon back and they begin cat fighting at the table.