Prologue

Hawkfeather awoke in shimmering lush green forests and glanced around, looking for his former mentor, Honeyleaf, but did not see her. It's a dream, he thought, and an important one. He looked around for any of those starry StarClan cats, and did see one brown tabby tom approaching him. He wasn't a cat Hawkfeather recognized, so he certainly hadn't been one of those leaders or deputies or medicine cats that regularly visited him. Hawkfeather dipped his head politely but the tabby tom seemed indifferent to manners, and before he had even raised his head, the tabby tom began to speak.

"The snow-white cat will save you all," the tabby tom whispered, his voice carrying like the breeze.

"What? Is this a prophecy?" Hawkfeather demanded, all manners forgotten. It didn't sound like a prophecy - it was one sentence! "Why did you deliver it to me? What about Honeyleaf? She actually knows how to deal with things like this!"

The tabby tom faced him with a wry smile. "Who do you think is this cat?" he asked snidely.

Hawkfeather paused, thinking to himself. "It can't be an older warrior or this prophecy would've been long ago. Maybe one of the new kits... but, O Great Cat from a long time ago, two kits seem to fit this prophecy."

The tabby tom raised his eyebrows. "Two, you say. Well, that sounds disastrous. Naturally, both can be in the prophecy," he said, his voice heavy with sarcasm.

"So it's one of them!" Hawkfeather huffed in annoyance. "Tell me! Is it Frostkit or Cloudkit?"

The tabby tom smiled cruelly. "What do you think?"

"Well..." 

"Think about that. We'll see each other again," the tabby tom meowed, already fading away along with StarClan's hunting grounds.

"Wait! What's your name? I don't want to keep calling you O Great Cat from a long time ago!" Hawkfeather burst out. It wasn't because he found that name disrespectful, but because he found it way too long to say. The tabby tom probably knew his reasons as well, but he just rolled his eyes and stepped forward next to Hawkfeather.

"My name is Earthstar," the tabby tom whispered. The name had a familiar ring to it, but Hawkfeather couldn't quite place it.

"Earthstar..." he murmured. Then he was jolted as he realized the hunting grounds were fading, and Earthstar was padding away. "Wait! I have so many more questions! Should this snow-white cat have any distinct personality?"

Earthstar looked back, giving that same wry smile as before, and faded away.

Word count: 409