Chapter Fifteen

Over the next few days, Frostheart saw a little of Skyfeather here and there, but they never exchanged anything more than a nod, and he seemed to be passing the message that whatever had been between them had never happened, and she should act like it. Frostheart could scarcely hide her sadness at this note, as she had imagined them still remaining friends despite everything, still having friendly interactions, still talking and sharing prey at the least. She had certainly not expected to be completely thrown out of his life, as if she had never existed and they had never been close. But she was quiet about it, quietly accepting, not mentioning it to him or anyone, although she hardly talked to anyone nowadays. Cloudbeam and the two medicine cats were rare exceptions, but Cloudbeam seemed to be treating Frostheart like an emotional support animal, telling her everything that went on during his day and boring her half to death. Frostheart had a right mind to stop talking to Cloudbeam entirely, but he was her brother, even though he was so annoying, and he was one of her only friends, so she put up with his addled brains and tried her best to have intelligent conversation with him whenever possible.

But finally, it seemed like their eventual meeting to discuss whatever could no longer be put off, and the next time Frostheart bumped into Skyfeather, he cleared his throat loudly while staring at the ground.

"Oh, that's nice, Mr. Perfect has time for me now? Suddenly?" Frostheart asked sweetly, smiling with her teeth. "Oh, how lovely."

Skyfeather glared at her, his expression unforgiving. "You are the one who dumped me, will you admit that? I just came here to ask you why, okay? I know it sounds stupid, but I am so horribly emotionally attached to you and I feel like I really need you back, but of course you can't because you're a medicine cat now and I'm stupid to even ask but please, why? Why did you leave me, make that choice? Am I that awful? Really?"

"You're not awful at all!" Frostheart was stunned. "I am super sorry! Honeyleaf said being a medicine cat was my destiny, but destiny can go sleep in fox dung, I don't really care! But she went all mystical, like, WOOH, THIS IS DESTINY, BABY, and I was kinda creeped, so I just agreed! Okay?" Frostheart drew in a sharp breath.

"Okay," Skyfeather blinked. "So, you are not angry at me and I didn't do anything wrong?"

"Of course not!" sighed Frostheart exasperatedly. As if anyone could stay mad at Skyfeather! But he really looked so desperate that she had to laugh, he had been moping all this while thinking she hated him and was upset, when really, he could have just asked her any time he wanted! He bumped into her around camp so often, Frostheart could swear half the time, it was completely intentional, and he kept shooting her shy looks during the day like some dirty flirter, but of course she knew he wasn't a flirter, he was too nice for that. "Mad at you? Just another impossibility, isn't it? Pass me the list next time, won't you?"

Skyfeather managed a small smile. "But I understand it all now, I'm perfectly okay! Thanks for clearing up the misunderstandings, also what do you think of Twilightmoon?"

"Perfect and boring, if you're romantically interested, you mean," Frostheart replied dryly. "My brother's also romantically interested, Cloudbeam, you know, so you have competition." She made her voice as dry as possible. Why was he asking her for advice on other she-cats? Wasn't that just awful? Taking advantage of her good nature! Ugh! She really couldn't understand him sometimes.

"Oh, um," Skyfeather licked his chest. "No, I didn't mean her for myself. You, of course, are the only she-cat there's ever been for me. I meant for my brother, Blackfoot, he seems to like her a lot, you know, brotherly interests, I'm a little concerned for him, he's gone a bit... Er... Crazy lately. He's obsessed with Twilightmoon, and if she isn't interested in him he might just think it's the end of the world." Skyfeather rolled his eyes. "A little overdramatic, I know, but Blackfoot is really an actor, and Twilightmoon is fairly pretty for an unmated she-cat, and completely unrelated to us, so perfect." He blinked rapidly, then bid Frostheart a quick goodbye and scurried off.