Chapter Twenty-four

Frostwind loved Pebblekit very much and yearned to spend every hour of her life with the milky white she-kit. She had beautiful light gray paws and Frostwind knew she would have the most beautiful of eyes. Maybe even purple like Frostwind herself.

It took a few days, but when her eyes finally opened, they were a gentle pale blue, slightly lighter than the blue of the sky. They were a lighter blue than Skyfeather's by far, yet still similar. Pebblekit had barely learned how to speak a few sentences, but Frostwind never got impatient with the innocent kit.

She did miss going on patrols, though, and most of all, she missed the tiny kits she had never had the chance to know. Hollykit and Gleamkit, who surely were happy in StarClan, but Frostwind had wanted them here, with her. Skyfeather remained strong for the both of them, and they never grazed the topic of the stillborns.

Hawkfeather checked on her regularly, saying she needed to keep her strength up. But Frostwind was no longer having problems with that. Upon seeing her beautiful daughter and loving mate, her will to live had returned, and now she laughed along at every joke made and eagerly watched Pebblekit take her first steps.

She fell over, and Frostwind couldn't resist laughing. Skyfeather wasn't there and Pebblekit was the only one in the nursery with her. Brightflame wasn't there. She had taken her kits on a walk through camp. Brightflame had been very boring with her kits' names. Firekit and Ivykit. The Clan had had many called Firekit and Ivykit in the past, so it definitely wasn't impressive naming on her part. But Brightflame had been a nice enough roommate, not to mention she was the sister of Stormwind. Not that Frostwind had ever liked her much.

Pebblekit stared frustratedly at the ground. She had been trying to walk all morning and Frostwind had just laughed at her. She felt a little bad and helped her daughter to her paws. "Go on," Frostwind meowed encouragingly. Pebblekit looked apprehensive, but she slowly began to move forward again before almost instantly falling onto her side. She stared at Frostwind with accusing eyes.

"To be fair, you're only a week old," Frostwind reasoned with her feisty daughter, even though Pebblekit probably couldn't understand a word of what Frostwind said.

Pebblekit frowned. "I want to walk!" she squeaked in her adorable voice.

"Okay, try again," Frostwind mewed, helping her to her paws again. Pebblekit tottered a few steps before falling again. Frostwind caught her this time and gently used her tail to guide her daughter. 

It took ages, but Pebblekit finally managed to take a few steps. She was early to be learning how to walk. Frostwind felt a surge of pride. The white she-kit then decided to go to sleep, just when Skyfeather returned.

He saw his daughter sleeping next to Frostwind and his eyes softened with love. "Tired?" he noted.

"She just learnt how to walk. She's an early bloomer."

"Usually, they say late bloomer."

"Well, I don't care, she's an early bloomer."

Skyfeather laughed softly and dropped a plump rabbit in front of her. Frostwind smiled gratefully. Had he sensed her hunger pangs, or had he just known that she hadn't had a chance to eat the whole day?

"Autumn is coming to an end," Skyfeather said warily. "Winter will be upon us before Pebblekit reaches a moon."

Frostwind saw his intentions. He was saying there wouldn't be much food to go round, and she would likely be starving a lot.

"I'll give you my food," he promised, and she hit him with her tail.

"Of course not. If you starve, who will hunt for the Clan?" she asked harshly. Skyfeather gave her a blank look.