Chapter Five

"A civil war? You have got to be kidding me. What are the sides?" Frostpaw demanded, looking around. One end was led by Silverlight. Her entire family, although they supposedly weren't speaking to her, and Silverlight's family made up a lot of the Clan. Lightningstrike, Riverfall, Skyfeather, Blackfoot, Stormpaw - Wait! STORMPAW??

"Stormpaw! No!" Frostpaw shrieked, charging into battle just soon enough to throw Shimmerpelt off her right before she could strike. The Clan was fighting with unsheathed claws and they were murdering their own Clanmates! The other end was led by Stoneclaw, and he was Silverlight's kin, but was fighting her anyway. Frostpaw paused. Was she Silverlight's kin? Of course she was, Stoneclaw was her uncle, Shadowflight's brother! And she'd just thrown off her aunt! She glared down at where Shimmerpelt was cowering on the ground, her eyes low.

"What are you doing? We don't have to fight!" Sunstar cried desperately.

Frostpaw watched as Stoneclaw turned a hard stare on her. "Then you should have done as I asked and exiled Silverlight."

Frostpaw gasped. So, she wasn't the only one who'd wanted Sunstar to do that! Stoneclaw didn't even look like he was loyal to Sunstar anymore, with that murderous gleam in his eyes. But he was a good cat underneath, doing what he felt was for the good of the Clan, and through he was dripping with blood, much of it was his own, and he was weak with blood loss despite the tough front.

Sunstar let out a low growl of frustration. "You don't understand.... I can't!"

"What?" Stoneclaw practically fell backwards but Lightpelt caught him, her eyes as hollow as his own.

"What do you mean, you can't?" Lightpelt whispered, eyes terrified.

Sunstar took a step backwards. "I..."

Silverlight barged her way past Lightpelt and Stoneclaw and leapt onto the High Rock. Sunstar leapt on next to her. "You don't belong up here!" Sunstar hissed.

Silverlight ignored her. "The Clan has to know what you did to me!" she screeched, before sinking her claws into Sunstar's shoulders and throwing her down to the ground. Every cat heard the loud snap that followed.

It only took a few moments before Sunstar rose again, neck healed through the returning to life. "Silverlight! Do not tell them! You swore to me! And I swore never to exile" Sunstar clapped her paws over her mouth and Silverlight let out a soft, dangerous purr.

"It looks like you're telling them yourself, aren't you?" Silverlight asked, voice as soft and dangerous as her murderous purr.

"Stop it! Leave her alone and get off the High Rock and back down to the ground like you belong!" Frostpaw snarled. She leapt onto the High Rock in one flying leap, making sure to bunch her legs like Squirreltail had told her so she could jumped further, and knocked Silverlight down. The two of them rolled down the slope from the High Rock and crashed down to the soft grass below. Frostpaw slashed across Silverlight's face, staining that soft green to blood red and let out a murderous cry.

"You want more scars? Want more damage to your ugly face? Well, I'm the one for the job!" Frostpaw leapt atop Silverlight again, slashing across her face in a zigzagging motion, reslashing across the scars. Silverlight howled in pain, the wounds from two moons ago reopening in that moment and bleeding more furiously than they had the last time.

"No! Stop! Leave me alone, your monster!" Silverlight howled.

Frostpaw pinned her to the ground, holding her neck just loosely enough that she wasn't choking. "Tell the Clan what Sunstar did to you. Maybe we'll understand your anger and thirst for revenge then." She let out a small snort, and when Silverlight remained silent, she slammed her head into the ground. "Speak!"