Chapter Seventeen

The next few, or rather many moons passed uneventfully. Mousestar was getting rather tetchy at gatherings, and he had given up with the childish nicknames, instead shooting Stonestar glares. There wasn't a hint of what had used to be a funny relationship between them, and Frostwind hasn't heard Stoney Stars or Mousey Stars in ages. Not that she was complaining, those were awful names. Regardless, tensions were rising between AutumnClan and SummerClan, which was bad.

It was the night of Shimmerpelt's kits' apprentice ceremonies. Smallkit, Hickorykit and Hairykit lined up excitedly under the High Rock, their mother cheering them on ecstatically. Frostwind watched, bemused. She had already been told which kit was hers. Hickorykit. Apparently, Smallkit and Hairykit would be apprenticed to Windecho and Cloudbeam, a very bad choice. 

Recently, Twilightmoon had given birth to Cloudbeam's kits. Their names were Redkit, Talonkit and Flamekit, but Twilightmoon had given birth early so the kits were sickly scraps. They probably wouldn't make it through the winter, even though winter was ending already. Some cats were half-starved. Cloudbeam was skin and bone as he had been giving up his share of food for the sake of Twilightmoon. Of all the cats, Cloudbeam might well be the first to die. But Frostwind didn't dare say so, of course.

"Smallpaw, your mentor will be Windecho," Stonestar meowed to the unfortunate kit. Smallpaw bounded forward to his mentor, touching his nose eagerly to Windecho's. Windecho faced him with an expression of absolute boredom, and the youngling's excitement faded.

"Hickorypaw, your mentor will be Frostwind. Frostwind, stop lurking there!" Stonestar cried exasperatedly. "You are a special case, Hickorypaw, because your mentor is my bodyguard. Should there be any time when I need Frostwind with me, you will train under Lightpelt, is that understood?"

"Sure," Hickorypaw meowed uneasily. It could not have been clearer that she wished to just be normal and not have all these special things. She warily touched her nose to Frostwind's. Frostwind nodded approvingly. Sometimes apprentices needed chiding to do what they were supposed to do for their ceremonies, but Shimmerpelt's kits were a bright lot and seemed to not need that. Smart was good. Frostwind couldn't stand dumb.

"Lastly, Hairypaw, your mentor will be Cloudbeam," Stonestar finished. Cloudbeam glanced up in surprise even though he had already been told and staggered feebly up to his new apprentice. Hairypaw frowned, not getting a good first impression. "Also Cloudbeam, stop giving up your food. You will need energy to deal with him," Stonestar meowed, pointing a claw in Hairypaw's direction. Cloudbeam nodded weakly.

"That's all. Come on, chant!" Stonestar demanded irritably.

"Smallpaw! Hickorypaw! Hairypaw! Smallpaw! Hickorypaw! Hairypaw!" The Clan cheered loudly, Shimmerpelt and Duskcloud at their head, yelling their kits' names with all their might. Frostwind changed quietly, eagerness evaporating. Did she want an apprentice? Next thing she knew, Stonestar would probably name her deputy!

She could hardly remember the good old days when she fought for Summerstar. She had been so young then, so innocent. Summerstar had been a great leader, worthy of trust, one of the founders. He had known how to lead a Clan, not like their current leader.

"Frostwind! Can we go somewhere? Now! Please!" Hickorypaw begged.

"I don't know if Stonestar has plans for me," Frostwind meowed wryly. 

"But if he had plans, he wouldn't have made you a mentor! Please!" Hickorypaw showed her baby doll eyes. She gained no sympathy from Frostwind, who was as unsympathetic as they got.

"Fine. Get ready in two minutes, we're going on a territory tour and if you're one second late you're in trouble. Meet me at the entrance of camp. Your two minutes begins now... Start counting."