Chapter Eleven

Frostheart wasn't exactly sure what had gone on, but now the entire Clan was trying very hard to include Cloudpaw in everything and make him feel special. He was clearly at a loss of what to do with all that extra attention, but since he was Windpaw's lackey, Windpaw got to bask in all that attention too, and he was clearly enjoying it, while his brother, the main receiver of the attention, was always looking lost.

They themselves should be becoming warriors soon, and Frostheart knew she should be happy for them, but it was just so difficult. They were not really her brothers anymore, and so much time had been lost. But recently, Cloudpaw had been constantly glancing her way, seeing her expressions and reactions to certain things, as if trying to get to know her better. She completely understood, of course. She and him had never hated each other, it was only Windpaw driving them apart.

But, actually, Stormwind had encouraged her to do that, too.

With a jolt, Frostheart realized that in all this trouble, she hadn't even thought about Stormwind for the past moon or so. Did that mean she was finally letting her sworn sister go? It seemed awful. She shouldn't forget her sworn sister/best friend! Was she an awful cat?! But, then again, her time with Stormwind had been so short, and they had actually... barely known each other. If Stormwind had known Frostheart was a murderer, she definitely wouldn't have dared gone near her. Well, not true - she was always an adventurous cat. But still, she would definitely have been more wary. Was the Stormwind as Frostheart knew her a lie? They'd barely scratched the surface of talking about themselves. Only what adventure they could have next. And it had all ended before it had even began.

It was sad, really, but Frostheart found she didn't need Stormwind for life anymore. Stormwind was history, a distant, previously vital part of herself, but not anymore. Now she was okay without her sworn sister. Perhaps life was finally looking up. But as she looked into the camp clearing, where Cloudpaw's mentor had quickly brought him out to hunt the moment he'd complained about apprentice duties, she found a frown worming its way onto her face. They were pampering him, spoiling him. He was going to become a pampered pooch, like a kittypet! What were they doing to him? They were corrupting her brother!

She would have clapped her paws over her thoughts, if she could! He WAS NOT HER BROTHER. But why did she still think of him as her brother?! Now Stonestar was trying to get him to take her place as the prophecy cat, something she had DEFINITELY OBJECTED TO.  But he was doing it anyway, even though Cloudpaw was by no means special at all. He was an ordinary apprentice, average, nothing special about him at all. Oh, apart from the fact that he had a crush on Twilightmoon who was like eons older than him. That was all.

"Frostheart! Come here."

Was Honeyleaf calling her? Well, that was highly irregular. Frostheart found her brow furrowing as she hurried over to the medicine den, confused.

"I wanted to ask you a question," Honeyleaf meowed in a matter-of-factly fashion. "Would you permit me to?"

"What? I'm not your Clan leader or something. You don't need my permission to ask a question. Actually, you don't need my permission to do anything. So why do you ask for it?" Frostheart asked, even more confused than when she'd started out. Medicine cats! Always confusing the cats they talked to. Perhaps this was why forbidden relationships with the medicine cats occurred so rarely, and more commonly were medicine cat to medicine cat. Because no one else could understand them! She tried her best not to put on her exasperated face. That would definitely annoy Honeyleaf.

"Oh, but I didn't want you to shred me," Honeyleaf put in mildly. "Never mind, here's the question. Have you ever thought of becoming a medicine cat?"

"Are you headhunting?" Frostheart asked with a slight growl. "This is because your past two apprentices died, isn't it?"