Chapter Fourteen

Frostheart didn't see much of the gray tabby after that, thank StarClan, she was rather sick of him after meeting him once, by what really bothered her was that he had asked to see her again in two nights, and she was wondering whether she should report him. She hardly knew him so it seemed unfair, but she also had other duties to attend to, like the sad job of finally telling Skyfeather that she was going to become a medicine cat and that their relationship was over. She had no idea what he would say - would he be disappointed or sad, or maybe he would be indifferent? It was hard to tell with Skyfeather, who could be extremely expressive at times and expressionless at others. Sometimes he faced her with such a flat face that she had to refrain from asking, 'What's the matter with you?'

"It's over," she said simply. "I've made up my mind, I am doing it, I'm going to be a medicine cat. The experience should help me learn, perhaps it would even do me some good. I'm really sorry," she added quickly, "when Honeyleaf first asked, we weren't so... You know, together, and it seemed easy enough, but like now, I really consider it and... Yes, that's my answer to her, but that means my answer to you is no. I'm really sorry!" She burst out, and she meant every word she said, the sincerity was obvious in her face. And he met her eyes, black expression unreadable, but he didn't say anything angry, he just nodded, a little coldly in fact.

"I understand. It was never going to work out," he said softly, turning away. "I understand you have more important things than me, I only thought you did care. Oh, I know you do," he added when Frostheart opened her mouth to protest, "I just thought you cared more, that's all, but it's really alright, I'm not fussed, really." He got up and left, and Frostheart had nothing to say to him, her tail drooping.

She headed for the medicine den, her head hanging low even though she should be happy. She'd never thought she'd gotten attached to Skyfeather, but maybe she had, because she was feeling sadness then, and the look of torment on his face was horrible to her. He looked genuinely sad, and yet she had nothing to say. It was all her fault. Perhaps she shouldn't have become a medicine cat, after all this.

"You are ready?" Honeyleaf asked smoothly, quiet voice confident.

"Of course I am," Frostheart meowed miserably. "I always have been, I just quickly ended things with Skyfeather, now I'm readier."

"Good, good," Honeyleaf meowed earnestly. "That's spectacular, I didn't know you had it in you. Now, your first patient is your very own brother. Yes, brother, as you are to be my apprentice, I will not hear that nonsense from you," Honeyleaf glowered at her, and showed her towards Windecho.

"I'm being treated by her? Is this some kind of joke? I only stepped on a thorn, now I need to be killed?" Windecho asked coldly, looking up, but there was fear in his eyes.

Frostheart eyed him pitifully. But she didn't get to say anything because Honeyleaf opened her mouth delicately to speak at that precise moment, and it was decidedly rude to interrupt the occasion.

"Actually, you'll find such a wound is a simple but extraordinary thing," Honeyleaf supplied. "You need to pull out the thorn precisely the right way, if not it hurts, of course, and we wouldn't want that, would we, Windecho? Today your sister is my little helper, she will be assisting me with this task, removing your thorn, and you will cooperate, am I clearly understood?" She towered over Windecho in a menacing way, so menacing that he quickly nodded, despite being known for never backing down during arguments. Frostheart gave Honeyleaf a sort of appraising look. There was more to that old she-cat than met the eye.

"Very well, she can get rid of my thorn," Windecho meowed sulkily, "but mind you, if anything goes wrong, my backup is you, not her, understood?"

"Are you the boss of me?" Honeyleaf asked testily. "I will not give you a definite yes because it depends on the situation and how far out of hand it has gotten. Rest assured your sister will not be killing you tonight - but perhaps she might in due succession, you aren't the kindest, are you?"