Chapter Six

Frostpaw just stood, innocently washing her paws outside Mothermouth, but she felt like going inside, for some reason. If apprentices usually went inside, why not now? Anyway, she was white. She'd blend in with the Moonstone. No cat would have to see her. She crept slowly through the dark tunnel, but she could see a bright light illuminating the cave from the inside - the Moonstone. She stopped, her jaw agape, staring in awe. She noticed Morninglight and Stoneclaw were just lying there, seemingly fast asleep, easy targets for enemies. Was that why they asked me to stay outside? To protect them from anything? Frostpaw wondered, but, too late, her curiosity had gotten the better of her. She lay down beside the Moonstone, opposite from her Clanmates so they couldn't see her, and closed her eyes, waiting for sleep to take her.

She woke up in a starry lush green forest where everything sparkled. It seemed odd that they'd have to catch prey where everything sparkled. Wouldn't that hurt their eyes and give them away or something, if they blocked the sparkles? But apparently, StarClan had unlimited prey, so they had opportunities to learn how to hunt regardless of the sparkles. 

"Hello?" Frostpaw called hesitantly.

"Hush." Frostpaw found herself wrapped in a tight embrace with Hopeheart. Shadowflight was next to her, his face illuminated by the bright light and the sparkles, and pure joy shone there. Happiness upon seeing his daughter again.

"Stoneclaw's leadership ceremony. Do you want to give him a life?" Hopeheart asked gently.

"Wh-what? I'm not dead," Frostpaw mumbled.

Shadowflight stared. "Then what are you doing here? You should be in camp, or something."

"You don't know about the civil war?" Frostpaw asked softly.

"Of course we do," Hopeheart soothed. "Sunstar came to StarClan, of course. We haven't heard from Silverlight, though. My blasted ex-mentor."

"Hopeheart," Shadowflight warned.

"She probably went to the Dark Forest anyway. She tried to kill Sunstar!" Frostpaw meowed dismissively. She hoped Silverlight never made it to these beautiful forests. She deserved eternal suffering, not land overflowing with prey where she could be happy. No, she deserved to suffer greatly for all that.

"She... but you killed her, Frostpaw. You killed a Clanmate," Hopeheart meowed softly. She sounded slightly troubled. "And now you must go, sweetheart. The ceremony is almost over and you don't want to get caught. Just remember, this is what StarClan is like. Don't go to the Dark Forest."

"Of course not! Why would any cat do that?" Frostpaw asked, mortified.

Hopeheart shook her head mutely, and prodded Frostpaw slightly.

Frostpaw woke in the exact same position, her nose touching the Moonstone as she lay opposite of Stoneclaw. She quickly hurried out the cave and stood guard outside. Just as well she came when she did. AutumnClan warriors crept up on the cave, their tails low.

"There's a stupid apprentice here!"

"Shaddup!"

Frostpaw cocked her eyebrows at them. "This stupid apprentice is going to fight you!" Then, she threw herself at the AutumnClan warriors. She killed the first in the surprise attack and whirled around to face the other two. Really! It was their leader and deputy. Mousestar's first deputy had passed already so this was Birdsong. Both leader and deputy had come here, to murder a medicine cat and brand new leader?

"Move," Birdsong instructed. "You don't want to die, do you?"

"Better I die than my leader!" Frostpaw spat.