Chapter Thirty-six

"I think you're going to die," Frostwind responded, relaxed.

Snowstar's eyes glittered. "You really think so? WinterClan, attack!"

It was so, so much worse than she'd imagined.

Evidently, Mousestar's rogues had joined Snowstar in her fight. For every rogue Frostwind killed, it seemed that two would take their place, screaming battle cries, boring as they were and shouting away. They were all there, exulting in the fight, trying to slaughter the SeasonClan warriors.

And yet they held fast. SeasonClan's line never buckled, each warrior fighting for their livelihoods and family and Clan, their determination overshadowing the rogues' greed for territory and prey. Frostwind herself killed so many she wondered if she was going to lose herself to being a monster again.

Finally, when the battle quieted down, there were only two cats left on the WinterClan side. Hawkfeather had been freed sometime during the battle, and he and Pebblepaw were hurriedly tending to the wounds of the SeasonClan cats. 

Moonshine and Nightfall had swapped sides, joining SeasonClan in treating the wounded. "I know when a battle is lost," Moonshine announced boldly, ignoring the snarling of her Clan leader.

Several WinterClan warriors had also changed their minds about their Clan, abandoning their leader and the one they called the SummerClan outsider to face off SeasonClan alone.

"Was it worth it, Windecho?" Frostwind asked, her voice soft as the wind, her purple eyes focused on her brother. "All the bloodshed? Over a stupid game?"

"It was worth every drop," he whispered back, his eyes malicious and filled with glee. Then he threw back his head and cackled. "You thought this was over a game, Frostwind? How many times must I explain? I hate you. You became the star of the Clan just because you knew how to kill."

"Star of the Clan?" Frostwind hissed. "Everyone hated me!"

"Not Skyfeather, he didn't," Windecho snarled. "He loved you for some stupid, unfathomable reason, and he wanted to be with you. Not like his sister would ever want me."

"His... Sister?" Frostwind asked.

"Were you blind, Frostwind? Are you still blind? I loved Stormwind!" he spat.

Frostwind blinked, genuinely surprised. "You loved Stormwind? You hardly talked to her!"

"Because she was with you, you snivelling fox-heart! Because of you Stormwind never laid eyes on me, never considered what I might feel for her! And then she died, to traitorous cats you now shelter! Don't you care that they killed your supposedly sworn sister? Don't you care that Dewfrost and Brightflame are murderers?"

Frostwind let out a dry laugh. "I'm a murderer myself. And so are you, now. Don't you understand, Windecho? I took revenge, and all I did was lose more family. Skyfeather died because Turtleleaf wanted to hurt me."

"You should've killed her when you first saw her, Frostwind. You're soft that way. You wait until they're truly enemies. You wait until they're killed someone you love! What kind of attitude is that? I'm more ferocious than you. I might not have your flair for fighting, but I know when to take revenge, and I will act on it because you. Took. Everything. From. Me!" He was seething now, his fur spiky with fury. Frostwind resisted the urge to laugh. Did he think he was frightening, with his fur puffed up like that? He looked like one of those furballs she'd coughed up the other day. He wasn't a frightening warrior. He looked like a soft little kittypet!

"I'm changing, Windecho. Killing isn't the answer to everything. Haven't you tried that? How much did you lose?" Fear, anger and doubt flashed in Windecho's eyes, but he seemed to ignore his own feelings, flexing his claws at her.