Chapter Thirty-five

"You may lose your lives in this next fight," Frostwind meowed quietly, addressing the entire SeasonClan with sadness in her eyes. "WinterClan was trained as warriors, unlike the rogues that made up AutumnClan. If you want to back out now, I understand."

Firespark stepped forward boldly. "I swore to defend SeasonClan with my life," he stated. "What kind of warriors would I be to desert you now? No. Frostwind, I would follow you to the ends of the earth. My loyalty is with SeasonClan and always will be."

Frostwind looked proudly at the young tom. She should've spared him some more attention. He was prideful and bullheaded, but right now, that was good. He would learn to be calmer and make wiser decisions given time, and right now, being stubborn wasn't that bad. She needed every warrior she could possibly get. While she could level a battlefield on her own, she only had four paws and couldn't be everywhere at once. It would take time to win over a Clan, and in that time, innocent cats could die.

"Thank you, Firespark," Frostwind meowed warmly, and surveyed the rest of the Clan. "What say the rest of you? Will you stand with me?"

There were some fleeting looks of panic and uncertainty, but every wavering gaze hardened, every warrior taking a step forward with steely determination in their eyes.

"We will fight for SeasonClan!" they yowled with one voice.

"Then let's go and conquer WinterClan," Frostwind meowed.

The steady beat of paws drumming against the ground was music to Frostwind's ears. They were moving to conquer WinterClan, their will unbending steel, pure desire to unite overcoming any insecurities. They were standing there, one Clan.

And soon, they would be a whole.

Frostwind's only regret was that AutumnClan had been fully exterminated. She'd killed them early on, and now no AutumnClan blood would run in SeasonClan veins. But the descendants never had to know that. They would know that all four Clans joint as one and rules the forest, moor and river with determination and power.

Frostwind let Amberfrost lead the attack and fell behind to Dawnfire. "Dawnfire," she whispered, "Go ahead, before our group, and warn Wispflame. If he goes to his Clanmates, leave him. It doesn't matter if they're ready for us; they probably already noticed the ruckus in AutumnClan territory. I plan to give Wispflame a chance, although Berryshine would say otherwise."

"No," Dawnfire meowed, her eyes dark with anger.

"No what?" Frostwind asked, surprised.

"I'm not going to tell Wispflame." Dawnfire looked at her paws. "He killed Streamlight, Frostwind! I can't ever forgive him for that. Why would he do that? Streamlight was innocent, and she was so kind."

"Perhaps... Perhaps this is her destiny, Dawnfire." Frostwind took a deep breath. "We have to learn to forgive cats even if they've wronged us. That alone will keep the peace for generations beyond."

"I still love him, Frostwind," Dawnfire's voice cracked. "But after all he's done? I'm a stupid mouse-brain! Why do I still love him?"

"You won't hate him until you've heard his side of the story," Frostwind meowed quietly.

Dawnfire smiled. "When did you become so wise? I'm older than you! Alright, I'm going to find Wispflame. But... If he gets even a fox-length from a Clanmate, om out of there and coming back."

"You love him, not me," Frostwind said, amused. "I don't even know what he looks like. I'm not going to  convince you to give him a second chance. The choice is yours and yours only. Don't run away too fast. You'll regret it." Her expression turned pained. "Just like I regret how little time I had with Skyfeather."