Chapter Thirty-one

Frostwind's own words rang in her ears. They were going to unite, not because of the prophecy, but because they had to.

Wars over borders and hunting rights were pointless when they could just be a big, peaceful Clan, and any cat could hunt anywhere. They would have larger numbers to fight off rogues, and four territories to hunt in during leaf-bare. 

WinterClan wouldn't have to starve because of lack of fish, they could eat forest prey, or moor prey. And while Frostwind hated the idea of eating fish, it was true that there was fish every moon, and never ran out. There was even fish in winter, even if the ice was there and prevented them from catching it.

All in all... She could do something, make all this right. She could unite SeasonClan and make it whole again. If was her destiny.

She remembered demanding that maybe the destiny wasn't hers, fighting against Honeyleaf who wanted her to be a medicine cat. Poor Honeyleaf. Frostwind hadn't hated her, and the old she-cat had died anyway.

The main problem was Stonestar. They were lucky he'd chosen to run away to Mousestar, but if he'd fled the territories and become a kittypet or something, they would've never been able to track him down. Would Frostwind get her lives then, if Stonestar still breathed?

She suppressed a meow of amusement when she imagined Stonestar with Twolegs, dying and coming back to life, leaving the Twolegs awestruck and panic-stricken, with no clue what had happened.

But her smile faded off her face immediately because there was no reason why she should smile. Skyfeather was dead and it was a catastrophe. They needed to unite soon. Mousestar's Clan was literally becoming rogues only!

"Frostwind?" Amberfrost's quiet mew came.

"Come in," Frostwind meowed, looking around her. She was still unused to sleeping in the leader's den. Would they use SummerClan's camp later, or build another camp in the center of all four territories? But they were split by Thunderpaths. That wouldn't be practical.

"What are we going to do once we unite, assuming we can get past that obstacle?" Amberfrost asked quietly. "Some cats won't want to leave their homeland, Frostwind."

"What did SeasonClan do before?" Frostwind asked. 

"I don't know," Amberfrost muttered, looking away. "I was born to Lunarfur and Grassfeather after the Great Divide, which is what we call the split."

"So you're saying Grassfeather knows?" Frostwind asked, perking up. Amberfrost's father was probably old enough and... Wait. Hopeheart's parents were Lunarfur and Grassfeather too. "Wait, hang on, are you my aunt?" She peered at Amberfrost through suspiciously narrowed eyes.

Amberfrost laughed. "Maybe I am, but is that a bad thing?"

She was so... Confident. Amberfrost was a natural leader, in all ways but the fact that she didn't want to be one.

"Even when I appoint Streamlight deputy," Frostwind meowed, "I'll still go to you for advice. Streamlight and I are relatively new warriors, we can't lead the Clan on our own."

"Precisely," Amberfrost purred. "You see, you are growing in wisdom already."

"Oh, I don't know," Frostwind purred back, "I can still be very immature!"

"Oh, don't you dare," Amberfrost growled, "the Clan needs a mature, wise leader!"

Frostwind laughed and laughed and laughed, and some of her worries bled away into the dark night, its calm flooding her with peace and tranquility.

She fell asleep alone in her den that night, and though she shivered from the cold, she knew she and her entire Clan were united with the desire of becoming whole.