Chapter Thirty-two

Frostwind, Dawnfire, Hickorysnarl and Windecho set off for the SpringClan camp with a skip in their step. If Frostwind could just talk to Streamlight, she could probably-

Wait. What was that?

Something red glinted in the corner of Frostwind's vision. Blood. It was blood. And it reeked of WinterClan, although the blood itself was SpringClan.

"Frostwind?" Dawnfire meowed quietly. "Something's wrong."

"You think I don't know that?" Frostwind snapped, lashing out. Did Dawnfire think she was blind?

"No. Not that. What I mean is... Streamlight, she... She never fulfilled her destiny, to bring peace."

"What are you talking abou-"

Frostwind parted the ferns to find Dawnfire staring at Streamlight's dead body. She was the one who was bleeding. She'd tried to get to SummerClan territory to ask SummerClan for help, but clearly, she'd failed.

"Faster," Frostwind meowed. "Windecho, go back for more cats."

"I want to fight!"

"Windecho!" Frostwind snarled. "You're not a tiny apprentice, alright! We don't have time to argue! Now go back and get more warriors!"

His eyes frightened, Windecho jumped away. Frostwind seethed, staring at her friend's dead body.

"Meanwhile," she hissed, "I'll see if I can level this battlefield by myself. Hickorysnarl, Dawnfire, with me!"

They ran to the SpringClan camp as fast as their paws would carry them. Frostwind was at their head, her paws skimming over the undergrowth, her jaw set in determination.

It was a bloodbath.

WinterClan was attacking SpringClan with all the ferocity they were capable of, and they were butchering them. SpringClan was the most peaceful out of the four, and while they learned to fight, they hadn't been in any real battles, not until today.

Frostwind shouted at Snowstar to stop, but the WinterClan leader was merciless. Well, her problem. Frostwind leapt on top of the snow white she-cat, wrenching her off the frail from of Springstar. The SpringClan leader was old, and no match for Snowstar, and she shivered.

Snowstar shouted furiously, launching herself at Frostwind only to be rebuffed time and time again. Frostwind had to give her credit, she was stronger than any other cat she'd fought. But she was still no match for her, and Frostwind killed her once before jumping to attack the cat fighting the SpringClan deputy.

Too late. Violetflower collapsed to the ground in a pool of blood and lay still. SpringClan's deputy was down. Frostwind spared Violetflower one glance full of respect before turning to her killer.

It was the WinterClan deputy, Blizzardleap. He was angry that she'd pushed him away from his quarry, but he also seemed glad that at least Violetflower had died. Blizzardleap was as heartless as the rest of his Clan. Frostwind bared her teeth at the tom in disgust. He killed without reason.

She killed, too, but only to defend those she loved. SpringClan had never once attacked anyone, and yet Snowstar had commanded they attack anyway, and he hadn't objected. He'd been triumphant when he'd killed their deputy.

She was going to wipe that smile off his face.

"Get off him!" someone shrieked, and Frostwind turned to see a pale gray she-cat who looked just like Blizzardleap launch herself at Frostwind.  

Frostwind dodged, slashing her claws at the she-cat.

"Moonwisp, stop!" Blizzardleap cried, terrified.